“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Reaping Where I Did Not Sow...


Today, I was picking cherries in the backyard. I had to hurry because the birds - especially crows - were getting their fill. As I was picking the cherries off the tree, I thought about how I was reaping where I did not sow.

It brought to mind John 4:36-38 (NIV) "Even now the reaper draws his wages, even now he harvests the crop for eternal life, so that the sower and the reaper may be glad together. Thus the saying 'One sows and another reaps' is true. I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor."




Well, here's a picture of one of our cherry trees. I want to point out the bush underneath. I noticed the other morning that the lawn sprinkler was shooting right into the bush. When the bush had been planted, it was small enough that the sprinkler was able to shoot over top of it and hit parts of the lawn and garden. I realized that I needed to prune the bush so that another area could receive the benefit of the water.

Is that true for us, too? Do our lives sometimes need to be pruned, so that other people benefit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cherries look so good, I could eat a cherrie pie. Garden looks great.

Anonymous said...

I peaked at your window! Very cool. I love your style, but now, I must rush off and get the boys. A lot of rushing lately it seems. Looking forward to slowing it down for vacation! -A