“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Reaping Where I Did Not Sow...the Sequel


Our fresh red sweet cherries inspired me to make a cherry pie.
(Ruth, do you remember these placemats?)

We discovered that we have two varieties of cherry trees. One tree is a red sweet cherry and the other is a "Rainier" (or possibly "Queen Anne") cherry. We rushed to pick cherries from both trees since the birds were starting to feast on them.

I have come to realize that you need to be deliberate when you have a Rainier cherry tree. Unlike the red sweet cherry, the Rainier cherry does not completely turn red and it does not ripen after picking. So, you have to look at each individual cherry and pick it at just the right time. You have to be delicate because the Rainier bruises easily (which trust me is not all that attractive to eat).

I found that after some time dedicated to this tree I am learning when to harvest a Rainier cherry. A friend and I were discussing this yesterday. Not all fruit ripens at the same time. Not all fruit ripens to the same maturity. You must gain a sensitivity, so that you know when to harvest and when wait. You cannot gain this sensitivity through haste. Time, sun, water, and care make fruit ripe. My ignorance does not. So, I am responsible to gain the sensitivity to know when to harvest. I know this may seem obvious, but I'm applying it to other areas of my life.

We are having guests over for dinner. I am attempting to make a pie from the Rainier cherries. Unfortunately, they aren’t very juicy, so I’m not sure how it will turn out. I already had to add some almond flavoring and red food dye. If you have any Rainier recipes, please pass them on! We still have at least 10 more cups of cherries to pick.

2 comments:

cammyk said...

Sheri, your pie looks delicious! You know, cherry pie is my favorite!!

Anonymous said...

Sheri
The pie looks sooo good. I could eat a piece now.
Oh I don't remember the placemats.
Ruth