“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Volunteerism

Christopher shelving a Garfield DVD

This summer I thought it would be a great idea to volunteer with Christopher at the local community library. I remember volunteering as a youth as a candy-striper at the hospital where my mom worked. Good life lesson: give generously of your time to serve others. (Okay, so never take advice about volunteering from a volunteer addict!)

We began volunteering earlier this month. We had to
    submit an application
    go for an interview
    attend orientation and
    attend training.
We even have official volunteer badges! We are certified to shelve juvenile videos and DVDs mostly. Sometimes they even let us shelve easy reader or picture books.

So, here's the thing...As I ask Christopher to shelve the items, he has to determine is ALA before or after ALL... or is CAR before or after CRU... seems simple to us older folks, but for a third-grader... it's educational! Heehee! Don't tell him! He's learning in a practical way how to sort alphabetically in his head. How cool is that!

So, Christopher is already receiving benefits from volunteering. He gets first pick of all the DVDs and videos we shelve. Plus while I'm finishing up, he heads over to the "comics corner" and lounges while he laughs at Uncle Scrooge & Huey, Duey and Luey. And wouldn't you know it, they're always putting out more candy for the volunteers to polish off. No wonder he can't wait to get there!

3 comments:

Jen @ The Cottage Nest said...

I think that's wonderful. I would love for my girls to be able to volunteer at the library. It never occured to me that it was a possibility. I volunteer in my daughter's elementary school library and find it very fulfilling.

Marianna said...

What an excellent idea! I think I'll check into this for my 2nd grader!

I found your blog through a comment you left at Jen's. Love the garden pics.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to spend the summer to make it fun an educational.
Ruth