“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Creating Beauty


In the Garden

Okay, so I've been a little melancholy lately. I decided to give you a break from my grieving. I know you can benefit from it, but sometimes we need to think about beautiful things, right?

On Saturday, I had my quiet time in the garden. I've started a Beth Moore study, Beloved Disciple, and I had some journaling to do for my grief class homework (oops, there I go, again). Plus, I had an e-mail that a friend had forwarded to me with a devotion on gardening. She was so cute! She said, "Ok, I promise I won't only think of you in terms of gardening and won't continue to bombard you with e-mails about gardening. But thought you might have some kindred spirits here." Please, keep thinking of me in terms of gardening! Whatever draws me closer to the Lord!

Anyway, I took extra time to prepare my solitary place. And I realized I was creating beauty. I brought out extra candles. I poured my lemon-flavored Dasani bottled water into a glass. I pulled out the zucchini muffins I had made - heated them - and placed them on a darling little dessert plate and surrounded it with sliced apples. I really started getting into it when I moved two of my Willow Tree angels outside. Prayer and Good Health.

As I sat down to read the devotion my friend had sent me, I could barely read through the tears. Here was a devotion on gardening which was on beauty!
Beauty has been defined as, "things that please us when seen." But why do certain things please us? No answer satisfies me. Perceptions of beauty, I suppose, are instinctive, intuitive, and inexplicable. I know beauty when I see it and that's about all I can say.

The pleasure of beauty, however, is transient. All of us, I believe, have had the experience of finding something exquisitely beautiful and then discovering one day that it no longer pleases us. Beauty is not end in itself, but points beyond itself to something better and more beautiful.

...The beauty of holiness, on the other hand, is "unfading."[1 P
eter 3:4] That encourages me a good deal.

There is other encouragement here: Through the beauty of holiness we may become the means by which others are drawn to God who is the source of all goodness and beauty. Peter puts it plainly, "Live such good (beautiful) lives among unbelievers that…they may see your good (beautiful) deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us" (1 Peter 2:12). - David Roper
So, my challenge to you today is to create beauty for yourself. Yes, it will take a little extra effort, but think about how it will change your outlook on today. And tomorrow. You know, if it would help, why don't you come over and visit my garden.


6 comments:

Melissa said...

God's timing is amazing! I had no idea you had posted an entry today about beauty. I actually logged into your blog to tell you the seeds you have been planting in Christopher (your other garden) for eight years are turning into beautiful fruit. He is becoming an amazing man of God. I'm impressed and blessed to call him my son's friend. Next time you pour lemon flavored Dasani in a glass while enjoying your garden let me know. I will bring crystal!

sister sheri said...

Melissa! Wow, thank you for reminding me of my other garden -- and even more precious above all beautiful blooming flowers -- Christopher. Wow, that's a whole new perspective of gardening... I'll have to have some posts on that!

BTW, Bridger (and JW!) are two of my favorite guys. They are a blessing in Christopher's life... and mine, too!

Oh, and don't forget the china when you stop by for your visit in the garden!

That Girl said...

Hi Sheri --
I love, love, LOVE the devotional on beauty, and was thrilled to see it!... the concept of "beauty" is something I ponder, with frustration at times. Why "beauty"? Why make attempts at beauty? Yada yada.
And then, the verse, which I knew, but never associated with this line of thinking--wow. It has given me...hmmm... hope. The beauty of holiness is unfading. Beautiful!
Thanks for posting this!
BTW... I have the same water goblet, only in cobalt blue. I need to use them more often. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sheri
Your garden if beautiful as is your devotion.
Love Ruth

Kathy said...

Hi Sheri,
Your table truly does look beautiful! I wish that I could create beauty like that.
I see that you live in Oregon and in your profile that you are a fan of Rush of Fools. I keep up with them somewhat because the lead singer is from my church. But I noticed that they are playing in Newport, Oregon tonight on their tour with Todd Agnew. They are a great bunch of guys!

walkalongside said...

Excellent!! I definitely would like to take you up on that offer to see your garden. How about some time in early October before we head out for our nephew's wedding in AL???