“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Be Still and Know...


Why do I need to be still?

As I was listening to a set of motivational audio cds in the car today, I was hit with the fact that -- to become more like someone... ideally, it would be best to spend time with them. I mean, if you had the chance to meet Martha Stewart and ask her questions versus trying to be like Martha just hanging out at your house alone and fiddling around with a craft or recipe... Which would you choose? You would choose to meet Martha. Or if you wanted to be a really incredible golfer like Tiger Woods, would you choose to go to the golf course alone and try to be like Tiger OR would you choose to actually meet Tiger Woods and receive instruction?

Well, it hit me. I want to be like Jesus. So, should I just go out and try to be like Jesus? Maybe serve in a ministry or two? OR... should I spend time with Him? Getting to know Him? Asking Him questions? Receiving instruction from Him?

Well, sometimes, I get it backwards. I think, well, Jesus wants me to be serving Him all the time. Really? Or does He want me to know Him well enough... that when people look at me they see Him?


"Be Still, and know that I am God..." Psalm 46:10 NIV

2 comments:

Kathy said...

You are so right. We do need to spend time getting to know him. After that, serving him will have much more meaning.

Anonymous said...

Sheri
Sometimes we do have to be still and know him, thanks.
Love Ruth