“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Confessions of a Marathon Enthusiast's Wife

Still Smiling after 26.2 Miles

Anthony completed his 5th marathon on Sunday, October 7th... well, if you add in the Ultra (50 Miler) from last year that would make 6!

So, what do I do while he's running 26.2 miles?
  • Find place to park
  • Say quick hello at start
  • Try to find friend who is walking marathon
  • Missing seeing Anthony at the 1.5 mile mark
  • Run to car
  • Decide to duck into marathoners to cross street... gee, that felt good!
  • Drive close to mile markers 7 and 11
  • Try to figure out where to park
  • See Anthony at mile 7 and mile 11
  • Run back to car
  • Can't find car
  • Ask around -- no one is from around here
  • Think... if I could only look at my map
  • Realize that the map is in car
  • Go into coffee shop to get help
  • Start to cry
  • Someone thinks nursery is "over there" can he give me a lift? No, thanks...
  • Walk "over there" to find car
  • Keep crying as I'm driving to 20 Mile marker
  • Park
  • Pay attention to where I have parked this time
  • Arrive 20 Mile Marker
  • Fiddle with camera which persists flashing
  • Meet up with Anthony at 20 mile
  • Give encouragement without revealing I've been crying
  • Back to car to head to finish line
  • Yeah! I found the car this time!
  • Try to find a place to park near finish line
  • Park
  • Pay attention to where I have parked
  • Run to finish line
  • Try to cross path of runners
  • Get in trouble with marathon volunteers
  • Make it to finish line
  • See Anthony cross finish line for first time ever at a marathon
  • Cross back over path of runners
  • Without being noticed by aforementioned marathon volunteers
  • Hang around for about 30 minutes in waiting area
  • Pick up freebies (dishwashing liquid?)
  • Munch on free sandwich wraps
  • Cell phone rings
  • Meet up with Anthony
  • Walk to car... slowly
  • Yeah! I found the car, again!
  • Drive home
  • Crash on couch
  • Drive to Red Robin to pick up a burger for marathon finisher
  • Park
  • Pay attention to where I have parked...
Well, there are no medals for a Marathon Enthusiast's Wife.
What would I do with a medal anyway?
Knit it a cozy?

Congratulations, honey!

3 comments:

Jared and Heather said...

Wow, what a story - it had ups and downs, I laughed, you cried...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both of you. Sheri sounds like you won too.
Love Ruth

cammyk said...

Love this!!