“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, November 8, 2007

My First Book Review

A couple of weeks ago I was at Christian Supply. I was browsing through the fiction section... Jan Karon's new book was not out yet (I am number 7 out of 96 on the library wait list!) and Robin Jones Gunn hadn't written any more Sisterchicks novels, but I saw this PINK paperback. Of course, it caught my eye. Reconstructing Natalie by Laura Jensen Walker. Then I saw that it was the 2006 Women of Faith Novel of the Year. Hmmm.... what's it about? Humor and Breast Cancer!

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the book. Wow! I ate it up. I really enjoyed it. It's one of those books that makes you laugh out loud and also brings tears to your eyes. I wouldn't have been able to read it last year, but now, well, it brought about hope and reflection.

I highly recommend reading Christian fiction. I think it is good to hop out of our own lives every now and then. Make sure you're prepared for what you're reading. Last year, it was suggested that I read Christian fiction. Well, I picked up a mystery and in the first chapter someone was murdered. Then the second chapter... and graphic! I told Anthony about it... He said, "Sheri, you wouldn't watch something like that on TV, so why do you think it's okay for you to read it?" Well, then my friend "ladybug" suggested the Mitford Series by Jan Karon and Sisterchicks by Robin Jones Gunn. Now, I'm always on the lookout for some "reading candy."

I also balance out my fiction with non-fiction. Latest book: Boundaries in Marriage by Cloud and Townsend. I found it on Audio CD at my library. Even after 19 years of marriage, it's always good to keep learning! (Yes, I was married at age 10.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri
Christian fiction makes for great reading. I am waiting for Jan Karon's new series. I also like Karen Kingsbury's books. Seems to get your attention right away.
Love Ruth

That Girl said...

Hi Sheri,
I haven't got Jan Karon's latest yet--my library lacks! I usually end up going through Amazon. But it's Christmas time and gotta watch the $! I've read Laura Jensen Walker's books too, and really enjoyed them. Her newest one, Miss Invisible, is really good.
I emailed her after really enjoying her Phoebe Grant series, letting her know that I ironically enough shared some funny events from the book in common, and she emailed back, so you know she's nice. :-)
Happy reading!