“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, December 7, 2007

The Friendships of Women #4


But Ruth replied,

"Don't urge me to leave you or
to turn back from you.
Where you go I will go, and
where you stay I will stay.
Your people will be my people and
your God my God.
Where you die I will die, and
there I will be buried.
May the LORD deal with me,
be it ever so severely,
if anything but
death separates you and me."
Ruth 1:16-17




The Friendships of Women

Chapters 4 & 5 discuss the relationship between Naomi and her daughter-in-law, Ruth. Like many women, I asked for Ruth 1:16-17 to be put into my wedding vows. But these verses are between two women. Ruth who is being REJECTED by Naomi is vowing to stay with her. Most of us would have come to the logical conclusion that Naomi didn't need us or WANT us. But not Ruth.

Many times, I come upon women who are hurting and in need. When I ask if they need help, they tell me that it is not necessary. I don't want to be a pest. I really want to help... if only I knew what to do. Whether I should go and help. The book shares the thought, "If she is a good friend, -- GO!" Well, what constitutes "good"? There are so many women who I know and love, but I realize that they may not feel the same way about me... that they have not given me permission to be that "good" of a friend to just come over... and listen... or help... when they have said, "It is not necessary."

This is where I run into difficulty with the verse I spoke of in the post "The Friendships of Women #3." "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." -- James 4:17. Sometimes I feel compelled to help anyone in need... to do the good I ought. I almost track them down. It is a battle within myself to determine... Am I a good enough friend that I should persist here? Or does this woman have closer friends that could minister to her in a way I am not able?

I thank God for prayer. I can always ask God for wisdom in each circumstance. And I can always bring any sister to the Lord in prayer. It is not that I shirk responsibility when I say that I will pray for someone... It means that I am taking my full responsibility for someone when I remember her in my prayers.

I have not stopped giving thanks for you,
remembering you in my prayers.
Ephesians 1:16

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not tell you how long I sat here staring at this picture and thinking to myself what cute little girls those are. And then I realized who they were! Wow, time really flies!

Carrie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving that sweet comment. Sorry to hear about your step dad. It's so hard - but it does get easier, as I'm sure you've heard soooo many people say. But, it does. I'll keep you in my prayers.
God bless :)