“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, December 31, 2007

Handmade Christmas Gifts

my very first cable project!

Okay, I have a couple more knitting projects that almost did not make it to the intended receiver... I wanted to keep them! We exchange names in Anthony's family for Christmas. We can choose to make a gift or buy one. I knew Cammyk would enjoy something handmade. At first I thought about socks... but then I saw the above hat pattern at NW Wools. It is made from alpaca silk in an off-white. It was my first cable project and I loved it. So did Cammyk!

Swap Box Project

From the Swap I did earlier in the year... I received some delicious fat quarters, buttons, doilies, and a Christmas CD. I had wanted to do a project that incorporated some of these items together. So, I decided it would be a great idea to give the cable hat in it's own special box. I took a box... hot glued fabric to the top of the box as if it was gift wrap... cut one of the doilies to the desired size... added some buttons... used some left over alpaca silk yarn as a ribbon... and Voila!

Lisa's Wishlist

When I asked my sister for ideas for Christmas gifts... she said a Vera Bradley bag or my raincoat (no, literally MY raincoat) or something to throw over her shoulders to keep her warm at work. Well, two out of three. I decided to pull the colors for the "caplet" from the Vera Bradley bag. I realized that I had all the colors in my leftover yarn stash. Yarn from my vest, her vest, my poncho, Christopher's throw, Ruth's hat (Anthony's Mom), and Tamra's scarf (from last year's gift exchange). I had to convince myself that I had enough to make one for me (or I would have kept it for myself). It's perfect for when I'm sitting reading with a throw over my lap and the caplet on my shoulders. I guess I have to make my own now.
Why Knot!

A couple weeks ago I was at the Dollar Tree hunting for some bargains. I found this Lion Brand yarn for a dollar a skein. I thought.... why not make a caplet for mom, too!

Any more handmade requests? That is after I make my caplet...

2 comments:

carrie224 said...

Great stuff! And what a cool idea for that craft stuff I sent to you! It's fun to see it being used.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog and thanks for recommending those books. I'll definitely check into them.
Happy New Year!
God bless :)

cammyk said...

So, here I am checking in on your blog and what do I see....my big cheesy grin staring back at me (along with a little something else..wink).

I absolutely adore the hat. Ask the kids, I have barely taken it off that cheesy grin head of mine!

I just have one request. Could you please pick my name next year and make me a matching scarf??!!