“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Home to Holly Springs Review


I'll be gentle, kind reader.

I was so excited to be able to borrow a copy of Home to Holly Springs from the Library. Considering there is still a waiting list of over 100 people. I've missed Father Tim and Cynthia. I knew the book would be "different" from the Mitford novels, but I'm dying to find out what happens to Dooley and Lace, so I am compelled to keep reading.

I was not prepared for all of the new characters. My little mind had a hard time trying to remember who was new and where they fit in to the history of Holly Springs or the present of Holly Springs. Especially when two of the main characters have the same name, Peggy.

The dust jacket cover said that Father Tim discovered many "disturbing" things from his past. Let me tell you, if you are looking for "disturbing" you will not be disappointed. I actually had to skip a portion or two due to the disturbing nature of some excerpts of the novel.

My funny quirky thing I do have to share... Okay, so maybe I should consider proof-reading as a second profession! At the beginning of chapter 27, "Now allowed to drink, [Cynthia] had lost no time in renting a car and amusing herself at the library, a museum, and the bookstores." A little background, Cynthia had hurt her leg, and so was not allowed to drive (not drink). I have to say, I did find this little faux-pas amusing.

Because I am so desperate to find out about Lace and Dooley, I will give the second novel a try when it is published. But if it includes the word "disturbing" on the book dust jacket cover... well, I think I'll just have to pass.

3 comments:

walkalongside said...

Aha! We are reading the same book. It was a birthday present. Looking at one's roots can sometimes take lots of courage. Father Tim is a delight! I noticed the typo too. :)

Cheyne said...

Great review! I am always on the lookout for book reviewers :)

We just launched a book loving community - Dust Jacket Review, http://www.dustjacketreview.com. We want to be "the place" on the web for great book reviews. The concept is that, by posting new or previously published book reviews at DJR, literary bloggers can find a wider audience for their personal blogs.


I hope you'll come take a look. :)

Best, Cheyne

Anonymous said...

Sheri
I haven't read Jan Karon's latest book. Sounds like it was good. What else would I expect.
Love Ruth