“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

In Memory of Jack Sr.

Jack Sr. and Sheri

My step-father passed away a year ago today. It is an "anniversary" of sorts. One normally thinks of an anniversary as a happy event, but today... not so much. I still cannot believe that he has passed away. I knew him for about 25 years... it seems just like yesterday.

Jack was the man who walked me down the aisle. Who encouraged me to attend a college that would challenge me. Who attended my "Parent Day" events at college with my mom. Who taught me how to drive. Who bought my first car... and then let me pay him back $75 a month so I didn't have to endure interest payments. Who drove my mom and me to my biological father's funeral.

Don't get me wrong... trust me... I haven't forgotten the darker side of our relationship. Like the day when I informed him that he was not my father. That he uprooted me in the middle of my junior year of high school... so that I graduated with people I barely knew...

Over the years, I asked God to give me a love for Jack. And He did. It made it easier to be with him... It made it easier for me.

I still regret not seeing him last year when we went back to Maryland in November. I could have seen him, but it was getting so hard to visit the nursing home. I was afraid it would break me. And less than a week later there was the phone call in the middle of the night. Then he was gone.

My first thought at that time was remembering this photo. Jack at his prime.

I called my mom today to reminisce. And she asked if we could light a candle and say a prayer when I visit at Christmas... of course, Mom... it would be my pleasure to help you work through your loss.

I know that I can not heal her pain, but I know the One who can.

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
Psalm 147:3



1 comment: