“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, January 7, 2008

The Friendships of Women #6

Sally, Sheri & Colleen
(Sorry, more wedding photos...
but they make my point!)

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program. A continuing saga from the book "The Friendships of Women" by Dee Brestin.

Chapter 7 Best Friends

Can we have more than one best friend? What exactly is a "best friend"? "Best friend often does mean the friend you love the most, [but] it can also mean a friend with whom you have a deep rapport... a soul mate, a kindred spirit." So, with this clarification, I feel confident to say that I actually do have best friends. (Contrary to a former post.) Wow, this may not be earth shattering information to you, but for me... well, sometimes clarification is my best friend! (hee, hee)

There was a time when I didn't realize that I could actually choose my best friends. I thought they just "happened." Whoever was convenient. Whoever was similar. (That's what I did in grade school and ended up with two kind, caring best friends--Sally and Colleen.  We've since drifted apart... 3,000 miles... maybe a Christmas card now and then... no, I never did send out Christmas cards.) Now, as I mature in my friendships I understand that it is imperative to be thoughtful... discerning... wise... in the selection of my closest friends...

I've always thought that there should be required classes for the truly important roles in our lives like making best friends, becoming a good parent, being a loving wife... So, the revelation hits me now at 39 that I think God meant for us to learn these critical lessons from our family of origin.

So, now, I am beginning to understand my ignorance has actually brought about feelings of friendlessness. My friends have always been here... but, again, as I always do, I rely upon feelings instead of facts. I have to tell you that I am really feeling freed by accepting these truths. Thanks for hanging in there with me. I'm feeling much more comfortable in my skin these days. Hope you are, too!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I like learning from this book. I need to actually get the book and read it.
After becoming an adult I missed having the "best friends" that I had when I was in school. But now, God has given me a couple of close, Christian friends for which I am thankful.

Kentucky Bound said...

What a wonderfu revelation! As one who has spent much of her life "alone in a crowd", I have learned the importance of friendships. I have learned to choose carefully, to hold them close to my heart,and above all to BE the kind of friend I want to have.

Thank you for sharing these wonderful posts with us!

God Bless!

Liz