“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

In Honor of January 15th

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

Christopher overheard me saying that January 15th is an anniversary of sorts. He asked why I was celebrating January 15th. At first, I told him that an anniversary isn't always something that is celebrated, but actually in this instance... in an odd sort of way... I guess he was right.

Sunday, January 15, 2006
I woke up tired. Light-headed. Dizzy. I fought the feelings and pulled myself together to go to church. All I can remember is sitting down in the pew and having the desire... no, make that the need to lay down.

My mind raced. Where could I lay down at church? Wasn't every room being utilized? Then I remembered the "Mother's Room." Perhaps it would be empty this early in the morning. It was empty, but I felt strange laying on the floor... I mean, what if someone walked in? So, I tried to sit in one of the rocking chairs, but I couldn't hold up my head.

At the end of service... I don't remember if I sat through service or not... I think I stayed in the "Mother's Room"... I persuaded Anthony and Christopher to take me home. I immediately crawled into bed.

And so began my journey into a very deep and cavernous depression.

So, why would I "celebrate" such a day? Psalm 30 captures my thoughts today:

I will exalt You, O LORD,
For You lifted me out of the depths...
I called to You for help and You healed me....
You brought me up from the grave...
You spared me from going down into the pit...
To the Lord I cried for mercy...
You turned my wailing into dancing...
You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy...
That my heart may sing to YOU and not be silent...
O LORD my God, I will give YOU thanks forever.

So many of you were used by God... my heart swells when I think of you... Others of you, well, you just met me... but somehow you knew I was a little different. LOL

After we finish The Friendships of Women... if you're up to it, we'll talk a little more about depression... Don't worry, I know what happens at the end of the story... there is dancing and singing and joy.... and HOPE.


9 comments:

Kentucky Bound said...

I would be honored to join you in the dancing and singing in honor of the anniversary of your incredible journey.

P.S. If you haven't already seen it, try to get a copy of Chonda Pierce's video "A Piece of My Mind". It's a lighthearted look at the very serious subject of depression through the eyes of someone who has been there. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send you my copy.
Liz

Kathy said...

Wow, that must have been a difficult time for you. I'm glad God healed you.

Anonymous said...

Sheri
I am sorry that you had to go such a trying time, but very glad that God has healed you.
Love Ruth

BP said...

I'm sorry you went through such an ordeal but am thankful to hear you are doing better. I like that Psalm. Blessings to you!

VintageGirlatHeart said...

THanks for sharing. It can be a very lonely journey but together with others it does not seem as dark.
Thanks you for your continued lovely comments on my blog.
It is nice getting to know you a little better......
::))

just lisa said...

That is a very beautiful Psalm - I can see why it means so much to you. May God continue to bless you!!

Thank you for visiting my blog and your sweet commment!

Justlisa said...

You had left a message on my blog asking about camera recommendations. I actually use a Minolta SLR but it is not digital. I rarely use digital, but I am going to buy a cannon SLR digital camera that I can use with the lenses that I already have. (I have two and hate to see them go to waste because of the price). So, no, I don't have any real recommendations - but I do plan on getting a digital in the near future. I guess I am old fashion - like to take pictures with film still. ;-)

I did take some classes on photography and hope to again after I get my new camera. Thanks for asking though - I think I mostly just get lucky!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Cherub Kisses Boutique said...

Sheri!! Hi ;o)
God is sooo good isn't He???
***smiles***
We're each on a journey but as long as we have Him by our side and in our corner ... We will come out victorious!!!
Praise God for your victory in beating your depression!!!
Thanks for visting me & stopping in to say "hello"
Hugs & Blessings,
Dionne

Beloved MaMa said...

all I can say is wow...thank you for writing about this...depression doesn't have to be a private thing and the more we talk about it, the more everyone will know there is hope!!!!!