“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"If you build it..." my 100th post

Field of Dreams
Ray Kinsella: What are you grinning at, you ghost?
Shoeless Joe: "If you build it -" [gestures toward catcher, who is Ray's father, John Kinsella] "- he will come."
Ray : "Ease his pain. Go the distance." It was him!
Shoeless Joe: No, Ray. It was you.
I often ask myself...why do I blog? Why am I compelled to put my personal thoughts and photos on the WWW? Do I really think someone would glean inspiration from my taps on a keyboard?

But when I ask God... "Should I continue to blog? Is it a good use of the time You have given me?" He cuts to my core... and asks... "Sheri, who has really received the benefit of this blog?" And it was me!

Two years ago, during what I affectionately call "The Dark Night of My Soul," I began to journal in earnest. I have always been a journal-ist per se... but to journal now became to heal. So, transitioning to blogging was not that great of a leap for me... except for the fact that the world-wide would now be able to read my thoughts. How to keep my words true to my thoughts without being misunderstood... or offending someone... or revealing more than I should... that was the challenge. Many a night, I have woken up and reworked my blog after having posted it... having given way to my anxiety of the thoughts of others.

When I reflect on the words I have written... and pictures posted... I realize... that blogging has affected me... more than I realize. I have connected with bloggers who have passions like mine... or who love to craft... or who share reflections that I have never thought of... I have learned more about being a good friend (Friendships of Women)... about grieving (My Beloved Soul Mother Ruth)... and about my pleasure of gardening (My Garden)...

But I couldn't have learned all of this... without you. Those who blog... and those who post comments... and those who encourage me face to face or e-mail or via phone or snail mail... and especially those of you who give me material to blog about... unbeknownst to you! And so to offer a little token of my endearment towards you... I am having a giveaway... If you're interested leave a comment on this post and you will receive your very own ILG hat. For those of you familiar with my blog... you know what I am talking about... if you don't... then ask me...

I'll be going on a little trip soon (details to follow), so I'm going to keep the drawing open for a little while... until April 16th. I know some of you only check my blog every couple weeks or so... and I want you to be included!
Annie Kinsella: If you build what, who will come?
Ray Kinsella: He didn't say.
........................................

Ray Kinsella: Hey, Dad... you wanna have a catch?
John Kinsella: I'd like that.

15 comments:

SandyK said...

Sheri,

I am so glad that you have continued blogging. You give me inspiration not only for my own blogging, but for the trials of my life.

Sandy

Beloved MaMa said...

I'm so glad you blog :o)

elizabeth embracing life said...

I am really inspired, in such a short time of reading, by your blogs. Besides nothing is on TV at 1:00am. There is something very special when women can learn about the hearts of others. Our culture has removed so many from those times most of our mothers had. Inviting the neighbors over for coffee. I don't know about you, but it's a ghost town on my street during the work week. I am one of the few stay home moms, so I value and appreciate the sharing of hearts, and the sharing of your life and your life process. Thanks.

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

Congrats on your 100th Post!!! I too am glad that YOU blog into my little world. We all touch each other in ways we might not in the "real world"!!
Have a relaxing little trip and we will see ya when you return!!
Shugars...

joan said...

Sheri, it sounds like we won't get to meet for a cuppa until after your trip. That's good--maybe by then our rain will be in he past!!

I am anxious to meet with you about the program you have discussed. Also thanks for visiting my blog and the nice comment you left.

For me, sometimes, it is hard to think what to write about--no cute little kids to tell about on a daily basis, not doing too much that is exciting, so I wait until something hits me...like my next blog will probably show case some of my cards...but I still have to scan them in.

Another reason I am anxious to meet with you is that I think you have a Mac, as I do and I sometimes find that it doesn't always respond to the blogging process as i would hope.

Thanks

Nina said...

I think it's awesome how one person can start a blog to help others and find that it's she who benefits the most from it, and another person can start a blog for completely personal reasons, and discover that it's an inspiration to others. I LOVE Field of Dreams! The scene where Ray plays catch with his Dad makes me cry every time!

Tanner Family Blog said...

Hi, I love your blog!! Every time I look at it (which is all the time) I learn so much!! And I love your last post - I am so glad you blog and now you got me blogging - so thank you! I love Field of Dreams by the way!

Grace said...

If you're coming my way...I better know about it!!!!
Grins!

Kentucky Bound said...

If you blog it . . . I will come! I have been touched by your words from the very first post I stumbled across as a newby to the land of blog. You have touched my heart and fed my spirit.

Enjoy your trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Anonymous said...

Pick me! Pick me!

I am always amazed when I read your blogs. You have such a gift for writing and the gift is spread onto me by reading. Not to mention the praise I feel for knowing you so dearly.

Thanky ou for Anne's "I'm so pretty shawl." The kid wants to wear it everywhere, even to bed! Good job Auntie!

Love you!
Lisa

Grace said...

I've just tagged you!!!!

joan said...

Thanks for leaving me a note on my blog. You'll have to come stamp with me someday. I've figured out you are a west sider--Marco's--school in Beaverton-- (where I grew up, by the way!!)

We will find a mid point to meet for coffee. I have gobs of stuff to ask you about blogging. Your answers on comments hit the nail on the head for me.

I'm anxious to meet you face to face. You look so much like a young friend of mine, that I did a double take for just a minute.

Thanks again for stopping by my blog.

Amy Wagner said...

Yes, Please enter me in your drawing!! I like your hats!!

I enjoy stopping by your blog to read your stories.

I am having a give away too. Stop by to sign up at my blog.
Amy

Kari & Kijsa said...

Congratulations on your 100th post! You are a wonderful writer!

Have a blessed day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Sheri
Congratulations on your 100th blog. It is great to be able to keep in touch this way. Keep on blogging.
Love Ruth