“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Intentional Living: Getting Healthy

**** This is not an advertisement! ****

I had mentioned in a previous post that I am in a coaching... mentoring... discipleship... call-it-what-you-will program. Basically, trying to have a balance in all areas of my life.

(Okay, it's funny that I am going to talk about this... after my last post has a picture with fried food in it.) I am in the midst of working on my Health Account. Now, health is comprised of many areas... emotional, spiritual, intellectual and physical. So, let's talk about balance in my life... the physical is lacking. I knew I would need motivation to start working on this area. I prayed to the Lord... because I thought... basically, I'm okay... I don't really have (denial) to lose weight or get into shape for any reason... I thought... God this has to be about You.

James 1:5 says , "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." Well, He really does! So, two weeks ago, I'm sitting in a Sunday School class based on the book "DNA of Relationships" by Gary Smalley. The book is discussing how we need to have self-care. We need to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." (Mark 12:30)... Heart = Emotional, Soul = Spiritual, Mind = Intellectual, and STRENGTH = Physical... Well, that's it! My Aha! moment... I will "love" or "honor" God with all my strength.

Of course, God doesn't just put us out there without any help... I end up having lunch with my friend, Amy, and I ask how she has successfully been taking off the weight. She mentions SparkPeople.com. I'm curious, so I look it up... and wow! talk about motivation, information, structure (my favorite), and accountability (gotta have it).

I think SparkPeople is so awesome that I didn't feel right about not sharing it with you. Get started at SparkPeople.com. I have not lost any weight yet, but I am already eating healthy and actually took a 10 minute walk yesterday... stop by my SparkPage.

No - I am not making anything to promote SparkPeople.com. I know there are others out there like me who need tools to help them to succeed in areas of their lives... and you know me... anything to encourage you!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good program.
Love Ruth

Tanner Family Blog said...

Hi, I checked out the site and it looks great. You always have such good ideas. Thanks

elizabeth embracing life said...

OMgunnysacks (as my dad would say). Last summer was the first time in six years that I was not nursing a baby or pregnant. I am done with children and needed to lose about 40 pounds. Yup having babies older does have a way of making those pounds stickier.
I started spark people last September. I am not that active on the sight, but I read the daily emails and get lots of encouragement. I feel like without even trying I have lost over 25 pounds. I bought these white jeans last summer that would not zip up, but they are a style that fits my body type. I just bought them in two sizes smaller, thinking by next Spring I want to wear these. Guess what...I am wearing them and realizing I shoudl have got them in one size EVEN smaller. I still have about 20 more pounds to shed, but my next goal is by Christmas. I take these kinds of things slowly as it's not a diet, it's just eathing healthy and being mindful of what you are eating. Marching along with you sheri!!

O

joan said...

Just found your site the other nite--i'm interested in the mentorship program you are taking--is it offered through your church??

are you in portland? i live in gresham--would just love to have coffee with you some time and learn more about your mentoring program.

you could respond through my email which is on my blog info. page

perhaps you live too far, or you are too busy--you can read my blog and i think you will realize that i am harmless! : )

hoping to hear from you.

thanks

Grace said...

Hi Sheri! Your program looks interesting....I will check it out....after Easter. :)
Thanks for stopping by --- Love on this special weekend.
Grace

just lisa said...

It does sound like a good program! Hope you are successful in getting healthier!!

Hope you had a very happy easter!

Take Care!

Kathy said...

I need to check this out...

yardenxanthe said...

I love Sparkpeople! I used it to lose 30 lbs after I had Lewis. Now I need to get disciplined and get back on it to keep on track with losing the rest of the weight after Evander!

Amel's Realm said...

GOOD LUCK in your program!!! Keep it up! ;-D