“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Can You Come Down From the Mountain?

The View from Mt. Carmel Overlooking the Jezreel Valley
where Elijah confronted the prophets of Baal (I Kings 18)

At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed: "O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command. Answer me, O LORD, answer me, so these people will know that you, O LORD, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again."

Then the fire of the LORD fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench.

When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, "The LORD -he is God! The LORD -he is God!" I Kings 18:36-39

I am trying to get back into a routine as quickly as possible... but is it possible? Could 12 days in Israel change how I view the world around me? I have become conditioned to look for churches that indicate where Jesus spent His days on Earth. Or ruins that indicate that King Herod was ferociously rich. Or even machine guns which indicate that there truly is a war going on... perhaps seen and unseen.

But I see none of those things here. As I drive along the Sunset Highway... there is a sadness in my heart. Do I yearn for Israel? Did I feel comforted... or perhaps closer to God because I was visiting His hometown? Did I climb a mountaintop and not realize I was doing so?

As I grab my copy of "My Utmost for His Highest" this morning... am I somewhat surprised at the title of today's entry? "Can You Come Down From the Mountain?"

We all have moments when we feel better than ever before, and we say, "I feel fit for anything; if only I could always be like this!" We are not meant to be. Those moments are moments of insight which we have to live up to even when we do not feel like it. Many of us are no good for the everyday world when we are not on the mountaintop. Yet we must bring our everyday life up to the standard revealed to us on the mountaintop when we were there.

Never allow a feeling that was awakened in you on the mountaintop to evaporate. Don’t place yourself on the shelf by thinking, "How great to be in such a wonderful state of mind!" ...We must learn to live in the ordinary "gray" day according to what we saw on the mountain.

I am so grateful that God allows us to go up to the mountain... but even more so that when we come down from the mountain He uses our experience to draw us closer to Him. Whether on the mountain... or an ordinary gray day... I am challenged to learn more... to love more... and to pray more.

4 comments:

Grace said...

From what I hear....from now on....you will yearn for Israel. Haven't been yet --- but one day!
Beautiful posts recently!

Kathi Woodall said...

Hey, Sheri and Anthony. Jimmy and Kathi Here. We know how you feel. The perspective of life has changed. the "important" things aren't so important anymore. Telling others about the trip has allowed me to tell others about Jesus so much easier. Everybody christians and non-christians are so eager to here what we did. You guys take care. And we are burning DVDs of the trip
Love,
Jimmy and Kathi

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for sharing your trip on your blog. It was so interesting!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I popped over here from "Kentucky Bound." The title of this post caught my eye immediately.

I came down off a "mountaintop" recently. I've always had a difficult time with the "after effects" of such moments. I love Oswald Chambers and his words are comforting to me as I seek to walk in the valley of my "normal" each and every day.

I've never visited Israel, but I don't think I would ever recover from such a trip. I don't think we were meant to...

a good reminder to us all that what awaits us is far beyond any earthly mountaint moment we've been allowed.

Thanks be to God that we are not home...yet!

peace~elaine