“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, April 7, 2008

It's All Real, Isn't It? Every Word of it...

Hi, Christopher! Mommy & Daddy Love You!


Today, we took a tour of the Ancient City of Dan. We were able to take a beautiful nature hike which ended up at a "high place." I knew we were going to the city of Dan, but had no idea we would end up worshiping the Almighty God at a "high place." The "high places" have been used throughout thousands of years to worship anything but God. And here we were... singing "All creatures of Our God and King" and "How Great is Our God" and "Breathe"...

1 Kings 12: 28-31 After seeking advice, the king made two golden calves. He said to the people, "It is too much for you to go up to Jerusalem. Here are your gods, O Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt." One he set up in Bethel, and the other in Dan. And this thing became a sin; the people went even as far as Dan to worship the one there. Jeroboam built shrines on high places and appointed priests from all sorts of people, even though they were not Levites.


This is the actual site referenced in the Bible. I'll have to say I was not prepared for this... of course, there was no church at this site. Who would want to remember something like this? But in its simplicity... no fan fare... (okay, there was a gift shop)... I met the Lord. It's all real, isn't it? Every word of it... I expected to see where Jesus walked and talked... but to see authentication of the Old Testament, too... Well, this is icing on the cake.

Caesarea Philippi

We also toured Caesarea Philippi which had been a pagan center of worship over the years. During the time of Jesus' ministry Herod Philippi ruled in this part of the land. Herod Philippi is the brother of Herod Antipas who ruled over Galilee... and the son of Herod the Great. One of our guides intimated to the fact that Herod Philippi was a bit more lenient than his brother Antipas... I hadn't remembered there had been so many "Herod"s... Something that I am determined to understand in more detail!

Touching History (excuse the hat hair!)

When you visit Caesarea Philippi... and you see the sheer rock cliff... and water "pouring" out of a rock towards the Jordan River, it puts into perspective Matthew 16:13-20. Jesus making a visual reference to the rock... considering that others essentially worshiped the rock... knowing Jesus is greater than this rock and all other gods!

Matthew 16:13-20 "When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is? They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am? Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

Our final stop today was the Golan Heights. We could see Syria and Lebanon was just over the hill. As we sat and listened to author, Joel Rosenberg, discuss the prophecy listed in Ezekiel 38... there was an Israeli television crew taping his interpretation of the scriptures and their fulfillment... and bunkers and tanks within view... We were brought to the realization of how volatile this area is... and yet how beautiful... realizing why so many want to claim this land... realizing that God has given this land to his chosen people... and wondering what does that mean to me. Not just in thought but in deed?

Ezekiel 38:23 "And so I will show my greatness and my holiness, and I will make myself known in the sight of many nations. Then they will know that I am the LORD."

6 comments:

just lisa said...

WOW! Beautiful pictures and verses! What a wonderful experience for you!

Take Care and God Bless you!!!

yardenxanthe said...

Wow, these blog posts are so cool - not as cool as the trip is, I'm sure! Thanks for sharing... it will probably be a long while before I can do a trip like that!

Anonymous said...

Sheri & Anthony
What a great experience, the pictures are wonderful. We are checking it every evening.
Love Mom

BP said...

Wow, Thank you for sharing the gorgeous pictures and songs along with the tie in to Scripture.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Sheri, it's amazing to see how it truly all does come together and is so real. Just reading your posts/blog slows my thoughts down as I take it all in. Very well written I might add. Thanks Friend!!

Kathy said...

What a great opportunity for you to be in the Holy Land! Thank you for sharing the pictures.