“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, April 4, 2008

Trip of a Lifetime

Tiberias with the Sea of Galilee in the Background

As I mentioned in my last post, JFK was a layover. We arrived in Tel Aviv yesterday afternoon and now we are in Tiberias gazing at the very body of water that Christ walked upon over 2,000 years ago.

We are on a tour of Israel with author, Joel Rosenberg (and 192 other Christians). Joel Rosenberg is the best-selling author of THE EZEKIEL OPTION and EPICENTER. We will also have the opportunity to be part of a missions outreach and the Epicenter Conference.

Dinner in Tel Aviv

Anthony thought this story was so funny that he sent it out to his family via e-mail this morning... "Here is my only funny so far. Last night for dinner I found out that Sheri is very adventurous. We had a buffet dinner and we decided to divide and conquer since the lines were a bit long. I would take the salads and she would take the meats and we would then split. Well, she picked a variety and we had this one mystery meat. Very tender and brown. So she tried it. Then we decided to find out what it was....any guesses? It turned out to be beef. Not so bad right? Oh, I must mention that the adventurous part was when she took another bite after she found out that it was beef TONGUE!"

The Mediterranean Sea at Caesarea

Today we visited the ancient ruins of Caesarea. Before our tour we joined together to sing "Here I am to Worship," Indescribable" and "Beautiful One." We became part of the tourist attraction as other tourists starting taking pictures of the almost 200 people singing in the Caesarea theater. In "Beautiful One" part of verse two says, "Powerful, so powerful Your glory fills the skies"... and as we sang these songs here under the blue skies of Israel... well, I don't think I'll ever be able to sing this song without remembering this very day.

Acts 23: 23-24 "Then he called two of his centurions and ordered them, "Get ready a detachment of two hundred soldiers, seventy horsemen and two hundred spearmen to go to Caesarea at nine tonight. Provide mounts for Paul so that he may be taken safely to Governor Felix."

Statue of Elijah at Mt. Carmel

We were so surprised to see an entire site dedicated to what the Lord did through the Prophet Elijah. We were able to be on Mt. Carmel over looking the Jezreel Valley where many wars had taken place. Yet we were celebrating what God did through one man to proclaim that He is greater than any other God.

I Kings 18:20-21 "So Ahab sent word throughout all Israel and assembled the prophets on Mount Carmel. Elijah went before the people and said, "How long will you waver between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him."
But the people said nothing."


Water Tunnel under Megiddo or Armageddon

We were able to see a gate at Megiddo that dates back to King Solomon from the 9th century BC. I am so overwhelmed about connecting sights to stories that I have known all my life from the Bible. And this is just Solomon... what will happen when I am in Galilee and Jerusalem?

Armageddon, a name St. John derived from the Hebrew for Mount Megiddo, Har Megiddo.

I Kings 9:15 "Here is the account of the forced labor King Solomon conscripted to build the LORD's temple, his own palace, the supporting terraces, the wall of Jerusalem, and Hazor, Megiddo and Gezer."

Revelation 16:16 "Then they gathered the kings together to the place that in Hebrew is called Armageddon."


Well, it is getting late and my battery is running low... my laptop battery that is! Well, okay, me, too! I wish you could all be here with us. Just seeing the sights and sounds that surrounded so many events in the Bible... what a "trip of a lifetime!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri & Anthony
Beautiful and amazing. Glad things are going well, same here.
Love Mom

elizabeth embracing life said...

Wow, this is truly an amazing trip. I love the play by play accounts.