“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Wall

The Wall

Due to the Muslim acquisition of the Temple Mount, Jewish people are refrained from being able to visit and/or worship where the Temple had existed (prior to 70 AD). If Israel is God’s country, then Jerusalem is His city, and the Temple Mount would have been His home address. He resided there in the Holy of Holies, which is the most western part of the Temple. (Now the Holy of Holies resides in the temple… us! 1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?)

Men and Women Worship Separately at The Wall

The closest the Jewish people can get to where the Temple stood (and therefore, to the Holy of Holies) would be a “retaining wall” which is the referred to as The Wall. Or sometimes The Western Wall. Muslims have dubbed it The Wailing Wall because of the Jewish people who would come to The Wall to pray and in doing so “wail” because of the destruction of the Temple.

Solomon dedicates the 1st Temple in 1 Kings 8:27-30 "But will God really dwell on earth? The heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. How much less this temple I have built! 28 Yet give attention to your servant's prayer and his plea for mercy, O LORD my God. Hear the cry and the prayer that your servant is praying in your presence this day. 29 May your eyes be open toward this temple night and day, this place of which you said, 'My Name shall be there,' so that you will hear the prayer your servant prays toward this place. 30 Hear the supplication of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray toward this place. Hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive."


Tradition has it that when you visit “The Wall” you can place a prayer into any crevice on the wall and leave it there. As if to have your prayer remembered… or as a ritual. Ever since I thought of coming to Jerusalem, I knew this is something I would like to do.


But as we approached The Wall, I realized that I hadn’t written a prayer down. Immediately, I remembered the little prayer box on the bracelet I was wearing. Christopher and Anthony had given it to me for my birthday 2 years ago during The Dark Night of My Soul.


I tried to explain to Christopher what the prayer box was for. I said that we could write a Bible verse on a sheet of paper and place it in the box… or our names… Well, he ran off immediately. He grabbed a sheet of paper and started writing. If you know Christopher, he’s not into writing. But he was determined… he had written down Daddy, Mommy, and Christopher… and was so excited to see me fold it up real tight and put it into the box.

Luke 2:36-38 There was also a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was very old; she had lived with her husband seven years after her marriage, 37and then was a widow until she was eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshiped night and day, fasting and praying. 38Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.


So, I have carried our names on the trinket of this bracelet for two years… significantly through The Dark Night of My Soul… so for this to be the sheet of paper that I left at The Wall was very sentimental and memorable to me. I think of the many prayers that the Lord answered over the past two years... and how this moment commemorates my gratefulness.


Soon, I will be home… and Christopher can write our names down, again… and who knows where and when the next slip will be destined?

4 comments:

Grace said...

Oh my Goodness!!! Mercy! Peace! Joy! How have I missed this! I had no idea you were going on this trip of a lifetime!!! Yes, I must confess --- there is a smittering of jealousy right here in this room!!!
ENJOY!!! Post, Post, Post!!!!
Grins

Anonymous said...

Great to enjoy your trip from here. So refreshing.
Love Ruth

Anonymous said...

mommy I want to say that was my special note to you
that i would remember.splash

Lena said...

Great work.