“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Mayo ("5th of May")

Well, are you wondering why I would be celebrating the 5th day of the 5th month? Wonder no longer! I have lost 5 pounds with SparkPeople. Who knew?

I am trying to figure out ways to reward myself... for losing 5... then 10... then 15 pounds. Any ideas? I could use some! It is also suggested that I set up mini-rewards, too. For being consistent in an area... like counting or tracking calories for a certain number of days in a row.

On March 20th, I announced my intention to get healthy. I have lost the first 5 pounds by counting and tracking calories alone. I have no motivation to get exercising... I did however buy a set of weights and weight bench I found at a garage sale on Friday. The weights were $5 and the bench was $15. The weights are in cute colors, too. My upper body strength... well, shall we say... is non-existent. Who wouldn't like arms like the gal that trains the black team on The Biggest Loser? Anyway, I figure when I hit a plateau then I will be motivated to start exercising. Sound like a plan?

Anyway, SparkPeople encourages you to tell people about your weight loss success and goals... for accountability and encouragement. Kind of scary putting it all out on the World Wide Web.. but, hey, I figure why tell just one person... maybe by telling more people... I have a greater chance of success.

12 comments:

BP said...

Congratulations on your success! And thank you for the inspiration.

I've read before of rewards being something you can use in your exercising, like new running shoes or a new piece of equipment.

Grace said...

Congratulations! Do you have any stickers??? :) I have always kept stickers in my desk drawers at work, and even a few here at home. Veggie Tales, Dilbert, Hearts, Frogs....it doesn't matter. Anything happy will brighten your day and you will know you "Did It."
High-Five!

Kathy said...

Hurray for you!! Good going! I think you should celebrate Cinco de Mayo by going to a nice Mexican restaurant and rewarding yourself with some chips, salsa, cheese dip and tacos!

logan said...

Hi Sheri,
I myself joined Sparkpeople, thanks to your post. It seems to be helping I have lost a couple of pounds but just like you, it's hard to get motivated.
I just joined the swimsuit bootcamp on there, I'm real excited about it and Mike is going to try to do it with me so...
Congrads on your achievement!!!
Cassie

Anonymous said...

Hey, you walked to coffee shop this morning. . .that's progress!

I'm not sure about the reward thing. The fact that my skinny pants fit would be reward for me.

If you need a little motivation, I could sign you up to run with J. Wyatt after school.

I'm proud of you. Melissa

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Reward yourself with a walk. If you don't have an IPOD...reward yourself with that. Fill it with your favorite tunes and get walking. It will change your life...both physically and emotionally. I promise! I have to get my kids to download my music, but it's been worth the investment.

Congratulations! Keep us posted.

~elaine

Grace said...

Dear Sheri,

Please consider yourself hugged.
Check my blog.

:)

a portland granny said...

Good for you! I'm going to join this group as soon as I have time to read about it and get it figured out. I have had 60 pounds off for six years and it is time to tackle the next 30-40. Hopefully this will be the motivation I need to start back on track!

Received your note and will leave it up to you to decide when and where--just let me know. My email is on my blog face page, if you want to use that route.

Have a great rest of the week. Here's to healthy eating!

Joan

Tanner Family Blog said...

Hi,
Congrats! I really want to check out the site - I love the idea about writing down what you eat!

nathan's parents are here this week to help with my back! Talk to you soon

elizabeth embracing life said...

Okay, so I just wrote this long comment and lost it. Piffle!! Congrats on the five pounds. I like to reward myself with a pair of pants for the transition stage, so if you need a Macy's partner let me know.

p.s. a sick child kept me home on Tuesay, Monday and today, but he is better this evening.

Anonymous said...

srkoSheri
Congratulations on the loss of 5 lbs. Great job. You might plant a perennial for each 5lbs. lost as a reward. It would always be a reminder. Sounds like another family member is trying Sparkpeople diet.
Love Ruth

Beloved MaMa said...

Congratulations, what a fabulous accomplishment :o)