“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, May 25, 2008

In Memory of SFC Richard Henkes II
KIA September 3, 2006 in Mosul, Iraq

Veterans Day 2007 (see post)

On September 3rd of 2006, the little brother of a dear friend died in Iraq. I couldn't believe the news. My heart broke for her and her family. On September 11, 2006, I attended the public memorial for SFC Richard Henkes II. Please consider stopping by my friend's blog and leave her a comment on this post (see post) that memorializes her brother.


Tomorrow, we plan to attend a service at a small park that honors fallen soldiers from all military branches. We hope to teach Christopher to understand the importance of our military, their sacrifice and our freedom in America.


Somehow, I feel like it is the least I can do. Honor those men and women who have served so valiantly.

Is there anyone you would like to honor on this Memorial Day? Please feel free to share their name/family here. I will stand beside you as we pay tribute together to the true heroes.

To those families who have lost friends or loved ones, I am so sorry. I am truly grateful for your family's sacrifice. I pray for God's blessing and comfort for you.


And let us consider
how we may spur
one another on
toward love and good deeds.
Hebrews 10:24

11 comments:

Grace said...

Bless you for remembering...

a portland granny said...

What a touching tribute to this young man. These things are so hard to understand--yet we know that God's ways are not our ways.

This is a sobering holiday. It sounds like you have some good plans for Monday. We've gone to Willamette National cemetery for their program in the past. Its a great education for the younger generation...and a reminder for us to give thanks for all that we have because of the sacrifices of these, both living and dead.

Thanks for the post!

Joan

Anonymous said...

Sheri, thank you so much for your tribute and friendship.

Tamara

Kentucky Bound said...

A touching tribute and a wonderful reminder.

Thank you!

Blessings!
Liz

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I visited the tribute of Richard on his sister's blog. Truly, it gave me my necessary pause of remembrance for this special day. Thanks for linking me up.

peace~elaine

elizabeth embracing life said...

Sheri this is a beautiful tribute.

just lisa said...

what a beautiful post and way to remember lost ones and pay a tribute to them!!

May God bless their families!!

Anonymous said...

Sheri
It is great to remember those who lost their lives for our freedom. Great that you were able to honor someone whom you knew.
Ruth

StitchinByTheLake said...

My father, who died in 2004, was a very proud veteran of WWII. Though he rarely talked about the horrors of his experiences, his chest literally swelled with pride when he saw the American flag. He served in Africa, Italy, Germany, Austria, and several other countries and was in the first troop to liberate one of the concentration camps in Austria. Both of my brothers served in the Navy. I love and adore each of them and am so thankful that they were willing to put their lives out there to protect mine. Thanks for the opportunity to give them this small tribute from me.

Grace said...

Absolutely! And I'll bring some chocolate to go with it! Sounds delightful.
:)

Anonymous said...

So, are you going to blog...it has been awhile since your last post. RU OK?