“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Leaking Window --
Our One Year Anniversary

Where It All Started

Can you believe it? One year? It feels like I've known you much longer than that... When I look back on the posts from last year, I'm amazed. A lot has happened... and there was so much I didn't even get a chance to blog about... yet! To commemorate our anniversary, I'll retell the tale of how "The Leaking Window" arrived at its name.


In May of 2007, I entered the world of blog. My sister-in-law's blog, FreckledFarm was my inspiration. I love Cammyk's beautiful pictures and unpretensious posts, and I'm not alone in that thought.


Just like any other blogger, I wanted to name my blog something... well, thought-provoking, curious... or even cute. With much consideration, Christopher suggested "CheeseyWheesey." Although cute, clever, and high in protein, it wasn't the trademark moniker that I had envisioned.


Around the same time Christopher had a field trip to the Portland Classical Chinese Gardens. During the tour the guide explained to us about these curious windows throughout the garden. Each window has "a unique design depicting nature or a geometric pattern." The windows leak a view. Lan Su Yuan Leak Windows -- a “'borrowed view,' sharing a glimpse of the verdant beauty that lies beyond."

Well, I thought that was just the blog name I was looking for! Letting people have a glimpse into my life through a "window." How perfect... and to be part of a garden... well, you know how I feel about gardening...

12 comments:

Kathy said...

Happy anniversary!! I remember this picture and the story! I'm glad we met through blogging.

a portland granny said...

Oh, I like your story about the window--I assumed it was a leaking water window (I've lived in Oregon too long) What a really nice thought!

I'm so glad that I found your blog, as I enjoy your thoughts so very much. Thanks for giving us view.

You need to check your email , please.

Thanks,
Joan

Grace said...

Sister Sheri! Congratulations! Just like a portland granny, I've thought you've been dealing with a) an annoying person in your world or b) some sort of unstoppable drip in your house. GRINS!

Your blog is just delightful and I will keep telling you that. You are way more delightful than your blog, too!

I'm raising my glass of sweet tea in your honor - all day!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thanks for tracing your beginnings in blog land. Perfect name for your written canvas.

peace~elaine

Tanner Family Blog said...

I have always wanted to ask you about the name, the Leaking Window, during our "blog" talks, but would then forget. So I'm so glad you did this post! It's a great name and I feel very lucky to have a "borrowed view!" Thank you for sharing with me!

great pics too! Where was I when that field trip happened? I am in lala land!

Beloved MaMa said...

Oh! I love it! I'm so glad I found you!!!

BP said...

I often wonder about blog names and yours is one I've wondered about before! Thanks for sharing that story and Happy blogoversary to you!

Kentucky Bound said...

What a wonderful story! What a wonderful blog! Happy blogerversary to you. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for you!

Blessings!
Liz

Tammy said...

I am so blessed to have found your blog. I loved reading about the views of the window...very intriguing and really neat. I hope to stop by for tea now that I have found you.

blessings

Anonymous said...

Sheri
Congratulatons on you one year of blogging.
Ruth

Ms.Daisy said...

I was curious about your Blog name so when I saw it I just had to click on it...thanks for the explanation of how you came upon the name - neat story!

Amy Guerino said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog regarding Elaine. I'm in Beaverton and am a member of Harvest Community Church in Hillsboro. Getting Elaine out would be fun...is it really possible though?

I just went to the Chinese Garden a few months ago for the first time. A delightful spot for inspiration...love your blog's name.