“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Vision...

Sunrise over the Sea of Galilee

I have been a little busy lately... aren't we all, you say? True. But I don't like being this busy. It is only for a season... and actually the season will end soon.

My "season" right now is that I decided to become a certified "life coach" and I have been spending additional time each week on certification training calls... and then some additional homework. This is a volunteer position, but the training is intense.

I have gained so much by going through certification... by learning how to be a coach... that I am actually becoming a better coachee. Things that had been elusive are finally starting to click.

I completed the following assignment (below) a week ago. Since that time, God has been doing such a work with me. I have always been afraid of the word "vision" because its definition to me has always been "disappointment." After using my thesaurus and dictionary* I got a better understanding of what the word vision means... and doesn't mean!

VISION:
  • the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom
  • a mental image of what the future will or could be like
Sometimes, finding out what a word really means... can make all the difference. So, here was my initial attempt at completing a vision for my coaching.

Successful Living Vision Summary for Coaching
Envisioned Future by Sheri

I am not known for having a vision. Any vision. I’m more of a to-do list and scheduler type of gal. When my DISC (a measurement of behavior and emotions) stated that I was a Coordinating Supporter, it made sense to me. Someone else has the vision, and I help them. In Jeremiah 29:11, “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” So, I let the Lord have the vision, never asking Him what that might be.

For some reason, I have coincided setting a vision and pride together, but just for me. When I see that others have a vision, I think, “Wow! Good for them. I will pray for them as they set about this journey.”

So, here is the challenge, I have decided to jump completely into Successful Living. And what is one of the first things that I am assigned as an action plan? Write and/or clarify your Faith Vision. Gasp!

So, I am on new territory here. My mindset has been -- why set a vision when most likely God will change it? What if it doesn’t happen and then I am let down? All I know is that if I must write a vision, I will do it! It is an action plan, and I love to check off my to-do list. So, I appreciate any grace given…

My vision is that I would complete my first year of Successful Living, and sign up for a second year for maintenance. I will complete the Certification for Successful Living and become a certified coach. I will wait upon the Lord to know who will be my coachees. I will act upon His prompting when He places potential coachees before me.

As I live intentionally for God, I will use all of the abilities God has given me to lovingly equip other women to do so, too. I envision that other women will be drawn to the Lord as I deliberately live my life for Him. There will be a smaller group (2-3) who I will be actively coaching. There will be a medium size group (8-10) that I will be facilitating and/or teaching. Finally, there will be a large group that I will be encouraging/motivating/inspiring. That all would know and accept Christ as Lord and Savior.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are well on your way to seeing your vision fulfilled. I'm proud of you for persisting and seeking to find what your vision is. . . and isn't it amazing that your vision compliments the gifts God has blessed you with.

Melissa

Grace said...

Good for you. I think we make the plans as God leads us. Can't go wrong if you're trusting Him....
Grins.

Tanner Family Blog said...

I love your blog! It inspires me! Thank you for reminding me how important it is to think about things like visions!

I would love to hear more about life coaching - maybe next week!

just lisa said...

WOW!! That was beautiful!! Makes me want to live better and to Trust in God even more. I have been and he has been answering my prayers. Take Care!!

elizabeth embracing life said...

What a wonderful journey to be on. To be challenged and grown in such an amzing way. God is going to use you in the lives of many hearts who need to know HIM in greater ways. I love reading your journey.

Beloved MaMa said...

blessings on this journey!

Kathy said...

I wish you the best with this! I don't think much would ever be accomplished without a vision.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thoughts in print bring clarity. Looks like your finding yours. Makes me want to think about mine a little further. Too often, my vision rambles around in my brain, along with countless other ramblings until the only vision left is blurred at best. Good challenge for this day.

peace~elaine

Kentucky Bound said...

Blessings to you as you follow your vision! Looking forward to coming along on the journey!

Blessings and hugs!

Liz

Anonymous said...

Sheri
May God Bless you in your new venture.
Love Ruth

Tanner Family Blog said...

Hi, I know this is my second comment....I forgot to tell you that Nathan and I both took the DISC test last year...He is a DS and I am an IC. opposites?!?! talk soon

StitchinByTheLake said...

Sheri I can so relate to this blog! I often wonder why it is I can't have the vision that I know God has for me. But then I remember that He is the Father and I am the child. He can see it long before I can comprehend it. Our job is to do just what you are doing - plodding along, one step at a time. Remember he also says in Jeremiah that we are like trees firmly planted by the river - our faith journey is a methodical process, like that river flowing. You go girl!