“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, June 8, 2008

As soon as I pray...

Really. I don't mean to complain. But it has been dreary here in Portland. Well, I might even be able to deal with dreary, but it has been cold, too. No shorts. No short sleeves. Sweaters. Coats. Cold.

Having been diagnosed with depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), the lack of sun is no laughing matter. I depend on the sun. We all do. It is a source of Vitamin D.

I decided to pray about this. Well, I started off complaining... and then just begging... for some sun... for a little warmth... maybe even a little humidity.

And I felt the Lord asking, "Sheri, can you trust me on this? Will you let me be all that you need?" Well, sure... I'll trust you, Lord. You have always been faithful to me.

The next day, I receive my daily e-mail from the national radio station, K-Love. It is always a Bible verse that is meant to encourage. June 4, 2008...

For the Lord God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. ~ Psalm 84:11, NLT

I'm thinking... you've got to be kidding? Perhaps only this version of the Bible uses the word "SUN." So, I search and find that every version I look at uses the word SUN. Still, in disbelief... I decide to look up the verse in Hebrew. Not that I can read Hebrew, but I can research if the actual word that had been translated would have been SUN. And sure enough, it was the word SUN.

Why is this so important and dear to me? Because in God's Word, it tells me that God will supply for all my needs. Is God truly all I need? Yes, He is even the SUN to me.

I am learning to be content in all situations
and I have started to thank God for the lack of SUN
because it teaches me to truly depend on Him
for all that I need.

As soon as I pray,
you answer me;
you encourage me
by giving me strength.
~ Psalm 138:3, NLT

13 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh my Sheri! I just love it when God sends answers like that. :) He is truly our sun and moon and stars - He is our joy and our delight. I do wish for sunshine and warmth for you and would share some of mine if I could. I'ts 97 degrees and hot here!

Anonymous said...

Sheri
As your other post stated I would love to send you some sun and heat. Our church picnic was today and the temp was 99 degrees. But we did have so much rain earlier that kept strawberries doing well. Mother always said the sun may not be shining here but the Son was still shining.
Love Ruth

a portland granny said...

Today was the greatest post of all time, because I too, am struggling with no sun. I try to live by the verse, "this is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it". Lately it has been hard....as you expressed.

Then the verse that was sent to you, is now sent to me through your blog. I will meditate on that verse today.

In the meantime, have you ever considered getting a special light which helps with depression? I have been thinking I am going to invest in one, because my spirits are so much better on a day that the son and the sun shines. Two different sources of light, but each necessary for optimum living. (well, I hope that made sense--I got a little carried away with my words)

Wasn't Sunday a blessing? I soaked it up, rejoiced in it, and am looking forward to the next sumy day!

Your posts are always worthwhile and leave me with something to think about in my own life.

Take care,
Joan

Tammy said...

I just love when God delights us and shows us He does what He says. He is who He is...He is faithful to us. Just love the post. I will pray you have some sun soon.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A good word on a day when I'm begging the sun to go and hide! (It's 106 here!!!).

peace~elaine

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

I have read about the crummy weather over your way and hope that you get a respite soon!!

:))
I wll send some of my Sunshine and prayers your way!!!
There is always Sunshine in blogland!!!

Grace said...

Sheri,

I am not joking - I think I may have SAD also. Can you send me your e-mail as a comment? (I won't post it.)

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri - Your blog touched a memory I had of a cold, rainy May - when, I too, really needed the sun to be shining. I pray that you will be Blessed by sunshine very soon.

Kathy said...

That was great encouragement! His word is so amazing!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sheri. I found your blog via the LPM blog. It would be wonderful if you would post your thoughts on "No Other Gods" during the study. I'll be doing the study in Long Beach, CA.

Kirstin S.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Sheri while you were having no sunshine I was in record breaking heat and sun and just now my body shows the signs of that wear.(pealing skin). David called me when I was on the east coast and said it was depressing to think that the sun had not yet come, yet your blog today is reminder that God is ever present.

Beloved MaMa said...

I can so relate!

Shelly@Sweet Journey said...

I know it is 2 years since you wrote this, but I needed this today! I wish we could sit down for some tea and visit.

I believe I met you at the SSMT Celebration in 2010. I'm doing it again (still) and hope I can see you next January!