“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, June 2, 2008

You Lavish Me In My Garden


I was walking in the garden today. I was sulking. Looking at the seed that I had sown. Without sun... there is little growth. It has been dreary. There has been plenty of rain... but not much sun... Day after day after day.

And then I wonder... how many times have I been able to reap what I did not sow in this garden? I have eaten cherries from trees that I did not plant. I have cut roses off bushes I did not plant. I have enjoyed the aroma of lilac and lavender that I did not plant. I have enjoyed the shade of trees that I did not plant.

But now that I have sown the seed. I want to see the growth. I expect it. I want it, now.

Then I recalled the passage in 1 Corinthians 3:1-9 which talks about how one person plants, another waters, "but God made it grow." How did I forget that part?

God makes it grow. It doesn't matter if I planted it. It doesn't matter if I watered it. I cannot make it grow.

And so, as I look at the bigger picture... the garden of my life... I wonder... where else am I expecting growth? What else am I expecting God to do... when and how I want Him to do it?

And now that I think about it... I can wait, Lord. You lavish me in my garden. I will wait. I have to wait. You will make it grow.

6 comments:

Kentucky Bound said...

Thank you for that beautiful reminder!

Blessings!
Liz

a portland granny said...

What a lovely picture you drew with words about growth....and growth that we can't see. Thanks.

Yes, I too awakened to hear raindrops on the roof! It gets a little old!! However I am trying daily not to grumble in my soul about the rain!!

One positive thing--the lawns are sure growing!

Tammy said...

This was a beautiful post. It is so true and I can so relate right now. We have had rain and more rain and some of my plants haven't grown much. Thanks so much for blessing my day.

StitchinByTheLake said...

How many times have I said, "Father, make my faith stronger" and expected it to happen right now! I forget that we grow into faith, that faith is a journey and not a place. Thank you Sheri for reminding us.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

This is a beautiful illustration of 1 Cor. 3. I am learning, like Paul, to be content in seed-planting and leaving the rest up to God. There's a deep and rich freedom in that learning.

Beautiful!

peace~elaine

Tanner Family Blog said...

I love this post! (as usual)
Beautiful words - thank you!