“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, July 21, 2008

Authenticity

Paulina's Peak, Oregon

At the end of June, we traveled to Sunriver to accept our medals. We decided to take some time to explore the nature around us. For those of you unfamiliar with central Oregon, it is highlighted with desert and volcanic rock. We decided to climb (okay, drive) to the top of Paulina's Peak. I noticed tan rocks, green trees, blue water, and white snow. But no other colors... until I looked down.

Authenticity

And there, I saw it... authenticity... it had a beautiful pinkish-magenta color. Here a seed had settled amongst the rocks... on the edge... and decided to bloom... where it had landed. It didn't wait to be picked up and nurtured in a nursery. It didn't hang on until someone gathered it up and took it from this dry and barren place. It didn't offer excuses as to why it shouldn't bloom here. It just did. No one sat around and thought.... "Gee, that plant is just showing off." Or "Doesn't that plant know that it will not be noticed here?" Or "What made that plant presume that it could just go ahead and bloom where others have failed to do so?"

I often find myself thinking that I have no right to presume to share from the depths of who I am. I mean, really, who do I think I am? Do I think that I am special? That my words might offer relief to someone? Or they might bring comfort? Who do I think I am...

And then I looked down... and realized that, I am authentic. There I am. Blooming where it might be unexpected. But afraid to show it. Thinking that perhaps I will appear that I think "I know it all." So, I withhold words of wisdom, comfort, love... why? Because I don't want to assume or offend or be rejected.

That's me. That's who I am. Authentic. Sometimes, I am afraid to let my light shine... but as God is liberating me from my fears, I would pray that He uses me in your liberation, too.

9 comments:

BP said...

I must say I believe this is the most wonderful post I've read lately. Just seeing the pictures at first I thought wow, how beautiful. Then to read what you wrote, my heart was touched. God bless you.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elaine @ peace for the journey said...

One of your best posts that I have read. Yes, you are authentic and your words breathe the same.

I will tell you something that God spoke over my life not long ago. In regards to my writing, I've always harbored my "pieces" for some great book some day. Only problem it, that day has yet to come. One day I was pondering this dilema and as clearly as a heart can speak, my heart whispered...

"Spend it now, child. Pour it out. Don't wait, for tomorrow is not promised to you."

Thus, sister friend and child of God,

POUR IT OUT! SPEND IT NOW. Don't wait. God has gifted you, and he doesn't intend for your gifts to remain hidden. You are his vessel of truth. And as long as your words breathe from the consecration of the cross, you have every right to speak them. In fact, I would go so far as to say that you would be dishonoring God by not voicing them.

LOVE your thoughts and your heart. Keep to the pen, precious one. We need to hear your thoughts.

peace~elaine

July 21, 2008 12:36 PM

BP said...

Stop by, I have something for you today!

StitchinByTheLake said...

So beautiful, both the picture and your words of wisdom. If we are truly the children of God, and we are, then we are the light of His love to all around us. Others can't see the light if we are hiding it. Blessings, marlene

Tammy said...

This is a most wonderful post. It was such an encouragement. Blessings on your week.

Ms.Daisy said...

~So beautiful - spoken from the heart. Words have an impact that we cannot know...we all "hear" them differently.

Thank you, Sheri, for stopping by and for your very nice compliment.

~Jean~

Anonymous said...

Sheri
Beautiful and great post. Great when we look around see and think of the wonders of God.
Ruth

katdish said...

LOVE that quote.

Satan would have us believe that we are not worthy to share our light with the world, but he is only as strong as we allow him to be. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."