“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Perseverance

Happy 65th Anniversary, GM & GD

Today my grandparents will celebrate their 65th anniversary. Many people will ask them the question, "How did you do it? How do you stay married for 65 years?"

The answer: Perseverance. And not just plain old perseverance... but "consistent perseverance." Constant, steady, undeviating despite difficulty and opposition. Let's face it... the world does not make being married easy. Our own selfishness and desires and temptations make it difficult.

I love being married to Anthony. We're about to celebrate our 20th anniversary next month. And in all that time, I have not found being married to be easy. It has been work. Hard work. We have had to make conscious and deliberate choices to keep our marriage happy and healthy.

I have been told before that I don't understand what it is like to be unhappily married. Or I couldn't possibly understand what a friend is going through because I don't know what it is like to be married to their husband. My advice is trampled over because I am happily married. As if my authenticity is discounted because I have "consistently persevered" over the past 20 years.

So, If you were looking for advice on money, would you go to a lottery winner? Or perhaps someone who started with nothing and worked their way up the ladder?

If you were looking for advice on how to lose weight, would you turn to someone who was blessed with high metabolism? Or would you ask someone who lost 50 pounds in a year and has kept it off for five years?

And, if you were looking for advice on how to make it through a difficult time in your marriage... who do you think might be someone to turn to?

Don't discount the advice of those who truly have been there. Just because they make it look easy... doesn't mean they haven't sacrificed, prayed, cried, studied... and have done it with perseverance... consistently.

11 comments:

Tammy said...

well said my sister..well said.

blessings on your week

BP said...

Congratulations to your grandparents! Sixty-five years of marriage is such a wonderul thing. I liked your comparisons on who you look to for advice.

Ms.Daisy said...

Congratulations to your Grandparents! What a wonderful milestone for them and for your family. They are an inspiration to all.
Your analogies are great,too!

StitchinByTheLake said...

This is great advice and very well said! In a couple of months my DH and I will have been married 44 years. Yes, we are happy. Have we been happy every day of those 44 years? Are you crazy? Of course, not! We've yelled and cried and fretted and threatened. But the fact of the matter is, we made the commitment and we are honoring it by persevering. You set a goal and take one slow step at a time to get to it. Our goal is "till death do us part." Blessings, marlene

Grace said...

Many many congratulations!

What an incredible milestone. Go on --- eat two pieces of cake to celebrate.

:)

Grace said...

Hi! It was in May, but we got there very early. :)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

65 years! What a treasured milestone worthy of some words this night.

You've done the hard thing, friend. You've stayed married, despite the odds stacked in the opposite.

Great thoughts tonight, as I prepare to embrace my groom of 11 years. I sure hope he remembered to get me something in Bolivia!

peace~elaine

Tanner Family Blog said...

That's a great pictures - and congratulations to them on 65 years! I love it that you titled it perseverance - you are sooo right about that!

Kentucky Bound said...

Amen! Well said! Congratulations to your grandparents - for their 65years together and for their inspiration!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Sheri
Congratulations to your grandparents. They look great. Marriage takes commitment to work through the bad times as well as the good times. It will soon be 48 years of marriage for us.
Ruth

elizabeth embracing life said...

For starters it takes about ten minutes, I waited today, to load your blog. I have about three people who's blogs do that and then my computer locks up completely until it's loaded. Wierd. I love your thoughts today. Congratulations to your grand figures. Miss you!!!