“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Beckoned

In the Garden

Time spent in my garden today. Oh, I am so happy to have 90 degree weather for a couple days. And I am so happy to be back in the garden.

I guess I am what you call a fair-weather gardener. With the temperatures hovering in what feels like the 60s for most of the summer, I've kept my distance from my garden. Last year what had become like a sanctuary to me ... has become silent... idle... overgrown... abandoned.

It was like my friend refused to beckon for me. In a way, it actually made me feel like I was unwanted.... or perhaps unneeded.

But today, I was all of those things... needed, wanted, beckoned... and it felt so good. It felt good to be in the garden... because it is a place where I hear the Lord so plainly.

So, while others of you are cursing the thermometer because of the heat... I am soaking it in. The heat. The warmth. The time in the garden with my Heavenly Father. It reminds me of one of my favorite hymns,

In the Garden

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses

He speaks and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing

I'd stay in the garden with Him
'Tho the night around me be falling
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling

And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

- Words and Music by Charles Austin Miles, 1913

5 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh my Sheri, our high on Friday is supposed to be 89 and we're thinking about getting out coats! It has been 110 several days here the last couple of weeks. But I'm thankful we finally got the new pump in and are able to water our thirsty grass. Everything in the yard perked up yesterday as they got a good soaking. Blessings, marlene

Grace said...

Sheri,

I love this hymn and I also love the heat! How about that!

Thanks for your sweet comments. You are such a dear delight.

:)

BP said...

I have always loved singing that hymn. I am glad you are having some warmth now!

Anonymous said...

Sheri
What a beautiful flower. Glad to hear that you are getting some warm weather. Love that song.
Ruth

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Gardens are good places to meet with God. He made it so. So glad you were able to meet with him there.

peace~elaine