“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Blogging Etiquette

My favorite magazine is Real Simple. In their September 2008 issue they recently decided to deal with blogging etiquette.

#13 A friend has a blog, and you feel that she is embarrassing herself by giving away too much personal information. How can you tell her?

SMITH: Say that you love her blog but since some readers don't know her as well as you do, they may misinterpret what she's saying. If she gets defensive, back off. But if the information on her blog is creating a safety issue--like she could be attracting a stalker--you're morally obligated to tell her.

SCHWALBE
: I'd pose it as a question, such as "How do you decide what's too personal for your blog?" That gives her the opportunity to proclaim a philosophy (in which case, it's her business) or to admit that she doesn't have one. In that instance, your input might be welcomed.

FOX: Unsolicited advice is hard to give, but it is necessary to speak up in a situation like this. Before giving specific examples of content you find troublesome for her professional or personal life, make it clear that you are saying something only out of concern and not judging her.

Whew! Glad to get that information out there. Now, I can morally give you unsolicited advice that you just might just welcome. Be prepared!

4 comments:

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

Well, I am glad that someone has finally written some bloggin' rules!! Be sure to let me know if I am ever out of bounds with too much info!!! ;)
That is a wonderful magazine.
Have a great weekend!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I find this a tough question to deal with on my own blog. I sit sometimes in a quandry....do I cay this? can I say that? should I not? On the other hand it's such a relief to let some things be written - a catharsis I suppose. blessings, marlene

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Are you trying to tell me something? Gracious me, I had a wild post to post tonight about ...

Delete.

peace~elaine

Ms.Daisy said...

Sherri,
My daughter always reminds me of this when I'm writing my blog. I think we all should be cautious when putting our "stuff" out there!


Hugs,
Jean