“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Dog Days of Summer

My Pet-in-law, Alice

It has been over 100 degrees here for the last three days, but by Wednesday of this very week, it will drop to 60 degrees. So within a span of a week the temperature is going to drop 40 degrees.

You know how important the sun and heat are to me. So, as soon as I heard the forecast, I ran outside. It currently "feels" like 101 degrees. But I don't care. I know that soon I will be back wearing jeans and socks and layers and sweaters... in just a week, so for now... I am one with the heat.

I just want to be outside. As if by being out here and soaking up the heat and humidity while others savor the AC, I will be happier next Wednesday when I am cold. I have to savor the heat while I have the opportunity. There are no guarantees in the weather department... but there are forecasts!

And that made me think... what if we had "forecasts" in other areas of our lives? Like a marriage forecast...

"Communication with husband at a record high 88 percent today,
but by Friday it will be in the low 50's"


Or a spiritual forecast?

"Partly legalistic this week with clouds of judgment by the end of the week" or

"Sunny disposition tomorrow with a chance of godly contentment"

Makes you wonder... doesn't it?

1 comment:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh my Sheri, I don't know if I wish I had those kind of forecasts or not! On the one hand it might be nice to know when DH has an open mind if I'm contemplating a purchase, but on the other do I really want to know how badly I'm going to do in the judging department? Decisions, decisions. :) Blessings, marlene