“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Entombed in the Moment


I have a dear loved one who is in the midst of making a difficult decision. It might be easy for me to tell her what I think she should do... but I know better. She needs to make this decision because she is the one who will have to live with its ramifications. Good or bad.

As I prayed and asked the Lord for any guidance, He reminded me of the book "The Best Question Ever" by Andy Stanley. God tells us in Ephesians 5:15 to "Be very careful, then, how you live -- not as unwise but as wise." And so Andy Stanley suggested that we ask ourselves the question...

In light of
my past experience,
my present circumstances, and
my future hopes and dreams...
What is the wise thing for me to do?

And I thought about you... I thought someone else needs this today.

So, as you are thinking about that decision you need to make, I want to encourage you to take some time to think...

What is my past experience?
What are my present circumstances?
What are my future hopes and dreams?
Now, with that knowledge, what is the wise thing for me to do?

I have found this question to be very helpful... life changing. It helps me to find areas where I have been deceiving myself... and refocuses me from being entombed in the moment to finding hope in the future... even JOY!

It is also a great question because it reminds us that there are NO COOKIE CUTTER ANSWERS. It helps us to look to God in prayer... and ask... what are my future hopes and dreams? Sometimes, we get so entrenched in our present we forget about hope and future... and wisdom.

3 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A wonderful way to process decisions. Oh, if I could just keep the emotions to a minimum while making them!

Thanks.

peace~elaine

BP said...

Thank you for sharing. This is an excellent question to remember.

a portland granny said...

Great post--in fact I'm going to share part of it with my son who is in the midst of a decision which could alter his life...and I'm determined not to put in my "2 cents worth". These question will be great...and thankfully he will accept something like that if he knows that it is scripture based.

Loved the flower arrangement in previous post and the garden post also. I have been keeping up with most posts, but have fallen down in leaving a comment.

I also like how often you have a new post. That is good because what you have to say is always worthwhile!!

Almost time for school to start. Is Christopher excited??

. Have a wonderful week-end.
Joan