“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Truth

Disclaimer: This post is not for the faint of heart. If you intend to keep me on a pedestal, please read no further!

I don't make my bed everyday. Okay, I maybe make my bed once a week. Well, the truth is that it might not really officially be called "making" my bed... It is more like straightening the covers.

I don't do the dishes every day. I like to let them pile up and then put them into the dishwasher at one time because I have a whole logical schematic as to which items go where.

I have piles of clutter around my house at this very moment. When-am-I-going-to-read-these-books pile. Where-do-I-file-these-papers pile. Need-to-put-this-stuff-in-the-car pile.

But if I knew you were coming over... I would most likely do the dishes. I would definitely throw all my piles of clutter into a laundry basket and shove it in the laundry room. And I might... just might... on a good day... straighten my bed, but most likely... well, the plain truth is... I would just shut the bedroom door.

I had some darling ladies over my home a couple months back. After having visited my home, one of my precious ladies told me that she saw my piles! She actually went looking for them. It relieved her to know that I had piles. Because she has her own piles, and she wondered what other people did with their piles.

Now, mind you, I don't always have piles. I'm pretty organized by most standards. Most of the time I have piles because I want to make sure everything ends up where I can find it at a later date.

I don't hide my piles because I want to impress you. I hide them because I don't want to be distracted by them while you are here. I don't want you to be distracted by them either. It's not that I'm trying to be someone that I'm not... It's just that when you are in my home... I want it to be a haven to you.

I guess I do this in other areas of my life. I may not always greet you with my piles in tow... I may appear to have things together... but I do this because... I want to be a haven to you... whether in my home or in my heart.

I want you to feel free to come over and peek in the laundry room and see my piles. I encourage you to do so. You can even take a peek into the sink... if you must. But in all honesty, when you peek into my bedroom... you'll find the bed unmade... because... well, isn't that what matching bed sheets were made for?

8 comments:

Nina said...

Thank you for that. Thank you, Thank you, THANK you.

a portland granny said...

I truly wrote my post just for you!! I woke up this morning thinking, "Hmmm, I wonder how Sheri likes today?"

This post was so great. I love the way you make spiritual pictures and lessons out of every day examples.

I don't have piles around the house--I have baskets!! (of piles!) I am most guilty of spreading books all over the house, so I started using decorative baskets in different rooms.

...and when you live alone, its much easier!!

The warm weather is on the way! The weather man told me tonight!

Joan

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've got so many piles of my own, I don't need to peek at yours. And unlike you, when company is coming over, I intentionally hide my piles because I'm embarassed by them.

Talk about distractions. My clutter clutters me! I really do have some work to do.

As it is with my home, so it is with my heart.

Have a blessed day. And by the way, I haven't made my bed today, because currently, I'm in it reading blogs.

peace~elaine

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a wise woman you are Sheri. Since I am slightly OCD my bed is made when I get up but my dishes aren't. (I'm only slightly OCD, not crazy) But if you look on the inside of me, there are lots of piles! blessings, marlene

BP said...

Another wonderful post! I loved it.

I have piles too. I saw a lot of things I do as I was reading.

Tammy said...

oh I loved this post. I have my own organized piles and well I am like you I put the piles away so my home and time with friends is a haven. You are haven inside and out my friend. Thanks for making me smile

Grace said...

You've been tagged! Leave the piles and play...

Anonymous said...

Now wait a minute, you straighten, organize, and eliminate my piles.