“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

All Scripture is God-Breathed...

All Scripture is God-breathed and
is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and
training in righteousness,

so that the man of God
may be thoroughly equipped
for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV)

Why are there so many different translations of the Bible?

There are many answers to this question and I'm not a scholar on translations, but I'll give it a try. There are some who translate the Bible word for word from the original language into English. However, some words do not translate well and sometimes the thought or content of the meaning is lost. Others translate the Bible thought for thought. They read the passage in the original language and try to convey the thought of the section they are interpreting. Some use contemporary terminology as opposed to the King James Version which is just majestic, isn't it! And there are versions that are adapted for almost any reading level.

As to the question of which translation to use...

First of all, I would encourage you to have the translation that your pastor uses the most. If you do not know which version it is, just call the church office. I think it is important to have your own Bible when you are being taught. I know the words are on the screen for some of us... but I challenge you with this... when you're at home crying your eyes out and you want to know where that verse was at about Peace that the pastor just spoke about yesterday... it's helpful to have a sense of what page it was on in your own Bible.... and to see verses in their entire context.

And that brings me to online Bibles which are amazing and phenomenal! But I caution you that when you look up a particular verse to make sure you pull up either the whole chapter or at least a section of verses. It is so important to read the Bible in context. It's how God intended us to use it... and it keeps us from twisting scriptures and claiming things that were never promised.

The online Bibles I use the most are BibleGateway and Blue Letter Bible. BibleGateway is great for searching by topic or phrase or verse in numerous versions of the Bible. Blue Letter Bible is awesome especially when you want to compare the same verse in different versions at the same time. It is also helpful when you want to see the original language.

Oh, there is so much more to share! Sisters, all I know is that when you read the words of the Author... you come to know the Author... and even more so... the Author's love for you.


Psalm 23 (New International Reader's Version)

1 The Lord is my shepherd.
He gives me everything I need.
2 He lets me lie down in fields of green grass.
He leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He gives me new strength.
He guides me in the right paths for the honor of his name.
4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid.
You are with me.
Your shepherd's rod and staff comfort me.
5 You prepare a feast for me right in front of my enemies.
You pour oil on my head.
My cup runs over
I am sure that your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.
And I will live in the house of the Lord forever.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheri
I like the NIV of the Bible. The 23 psalm is a favorite of mine. We had a pastor a long time ago who suggested quote it every morning before you get out of bed.
Ruth

a portland granny said...

For me, the twenty third psalm, will always be in my heart and mind in the King James version--all of my scriptures from childhood are in King James in my brain.

I use many versions now that they are available. As a girl, I remember struggling for meaning at times in King James. The Living Bible was the first experience I had other than the King James, and it was so wonderful and helpful to use it along side my King James.

Times have changed many things in our lives and in our help in understanding scripture....and now we have Bible Gateway, which I use a lot. Who would have thought fifty years ago, such wonders would be available to us!

Tammy said...

I like the NIV bible and I am thankful to have God's word right there.
thanks for sharing and reminding us to be in God's word