“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Father's Eyes


Yesterday I was sorting through some old papers and came across a psalm that I had written over 10 years ago. When my earthly father had passed away. I did not want to post it, but I am not one to entertain coincidences. I knew there was a reason that I came across this paper... at exactly the same time we are finishing up Psalm 23.

It is to encourage you to write a psalm. To write your own psalm. Whether in joy or in pain. Or whether you feel nothing at all. About your circumstances. The daily grind. Your job. Your marriage. Your dreams. In anger or in tears. Especially in tears.

But don't worry, I won't ask you to post it... But you never know... He might...


My Psalm
Father’s Eyes
Lord, You said You are the Father to the fatherless.
I have clung to that promise since I was a child.
You are true to Your word.
You have loved me as only a Father could
Is there anyway to repay You?
I fall so short, yet You accept my love, and I am made complete.

When my earthly father abused me
When my earthly father left me
When my earthly father denied me my inheritance
When my earthly father was laid in the grave….

Lord, You were there for me.
You filled the gap.
You held me tightly.
You are a faithful friend.
Yet You do not let me go on my merry way.
You bring discipline in just ways.
I am never out of Your sight.

You fill me with love overflowing.
You give me beautiful flowers to wear in my hair.
You give me love for Your other children.
You grant me peace.
You grant me quiet.
You shower me with friends.
You have given me abundant life.
I can hardly breathe.
I am so overwhelmed.
I am in awe of You.
May my life reflect You.
May I always be found in Your will.
May I hear those wonderful words…
“Daughter, I am so proud of you!”

One day, when my life is but a memory on earth,
I pray that it will be said of me
“She had her Father’s eyes.”

Written June 6th, 1998 at CPC Oceanside Retreat in memory of my Heavenly Father

2 comments:

a portland granny said...

That was a powerful psalm--very moving. I'm glad the sadness you felt from your earthly father has been replaced by the Father Who never leaves, loves us unconditionally. and never fails us.

Thanks for sharing.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I feel like my life is a book of Psalms, although not quite so efficiently and beautifully written as you have done here.

I labor with my words; I think in part because my heart is so full of them.

Your psalm is a poetic painting of an inward scripting.

I, too, am so thankful for a Father who loves me best, even when others fail in their responsibility to do so.

peace~elaine