“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fruit of the Spirit


But the fruit of the Spirit is
love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
gentleness and self-control.
Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23 NIV


Do you ever have that feeling that someone is trying to get your attention? Perhaps they repeat something over and over again to make their point?

Currently our Ladies' Bible Study is doing the Beth Moore series Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit.

I have recently become an assistant for M's Club (our church's version of Girl Scouts). In the third grade class we are learning about... you guessed it... The Fruit of the Spirit.

Last night the M's Third Grade teacher read the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day...
"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."
The girls sat in wonder as she read the story. She asked them to consider where Alexander might have displayed the fruit of the spirit in the story... and the girls just loved it! They listened intently... picking out when he could have displayed love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

But it is not easy, is it? Sometimes we have terrible, horrible, no good, very bad weeks... months... years... lifetimes. And we're asked to have love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control? How do we do that?

Well, I have a feeling... we're going to find out.

All I know is that it is called the fruit of the Spirit...
and NOT the fruit of the Sheri.



4 comments:

Kentucky Bound said...

And a hearty AMEN SISTER! from the peanut gallery here in Kentucky. I feel that I'm a kindred spirit with Alexander this week and the KJV "longsuffering" has come to mind on several occasions. Can't wait to hear more!

Blessings from the creek!

Liz

BP said...

That sounds like a great lesson to use that book.

I have really enjoyed that Beth Moore study. It's been a blessing. I'm on self-control now.

just lisa said...

It is so hard sometimes!! THat's so nice that you are so involved in your church - we used to be when we lived in upstate ny. The church we were going to down here - the pastor just left. But we actually just met a pastor who invited us to his church and we are trying it out on Sunday!! I hope it's wonderful - we need it!!

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog - had fun doing that mini!

Grace said...

What a fantastic post!!

One of my favorites, Sheri. :)