“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Gardener's Psalm

The Constant Gardener

Today is the conclusion of the challenge to recite the 23rd Psalm five times a day for seven days. I have come away with a new appreciation of waking up and going to sleep thinking of the goodness and provision of our Lord. I have also come to the point of making the 23rd Psalm mine. Personalizing it. As discussed yesterday, this is my paraphrase… and being able to apply it to an analogy that I am familiar with… well, it makes me understand how much God cares for me… cultivates me… helps me to thrive…

The 23rd Psalm SSV*, a paraphrase
The Gardener's Psalm


The Lord is my Gardener,
I shall not wither.

He maketh me to lie as a seed in fertile soil:
he bringeth the still water to me.

He fertilizeth my soul:
he pruneth me in the paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.

Yea, though I grow in the valley of the shadow of weeds,
I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me;
thy rake and thy weed eater they comfort me.

Thou preparest a shelter around me
in the presence of bugs and insects:
thou anointest my leaves with organic bug spray;
my nutrients runneth over.

Surely sun and abundant blossoms
shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the garden of the LORD for ever.

*sister sheri's version

3 comments:

boutcrazy said...

I've enjoyed reading all the different versions of Psalm 23. I remember when we had to memorize this for school...public school! It's always been my favorite. When my son was in the hospital as a baby, this was the only verse that I could think of and I spent 5 days praying this. Thanks for sharing. I've also left you a gift at my blog.
Deborah

BP said...

That is wonderful! It made me smile to read. I started the challenge yesterday. It has been a blessing already! Thanks for issuing the challenge. God bless.

a portland granny said...

Thanks for your wonderful expose' of the 23rd Psalm. It has been wonderful! I started working on the 119th Psalm this morning. I think it is going to take a while, as I am going through it just a section at a time.

I am in a much better space this week, than I was last week, thankfully. I don't very often let my health situation get to me, but last week it was unrelenting! The Lord is MY Shepherd, however and He has graciously led me out of the despair and discouragement. I am praising him mightily!