“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Thoughts about "The Problem"

I have been thinking about Step 2 of "Steps to Peace with God." The Problem: Our Separation.

You know what I think the "real" problem is? We don't feel separated from God.

Yes, we feel a void in our lives... but we don't keep it very long. Loneliness... perhaps we log on to Facebook? Sadness... we turn on America's Funniest Videos. Distracted... we spend hours working on a Sudoku puzzle. Okay, this is getting personal!

We fill our calendars with activities so that we don't have time to think about our heartbreak.
We eat because it brings comfort.
We gossip or judge others because it makes us feel better about ourselves.
We are so blessed in this country to have so many ways to soothe our pains.

So, how would we even know we are separated from God?

I think the time comes about when all of our resources have been exhausted... we have failed to fill our need... and we then we think... what do I do now? Maybe we finally sit quietly... with our face in our hands... with the tears streaming... and our hearts sobbing... and we have hit rock bottom... perhaps then we might realize our separation from God...

But until we take time to reflect... I wonder... how long would it take to come to this realization on our own?

4 comments:

BP said...

Whoa, you are so right. I wonder if this is why there is so much busyness and constant going, going, going nowadays. People don't like stopping, don't like quiet. I think a lot of people are trying to fill the void and keep failing with all the things of the world they try.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I worry about women who don't take time to be still. I fear they are so busy that they don't realize what they need...just that they know they need something. blessings, marlene

a portland granny said...

Just got caught up on your recent posts-all so very thought provoking and wise. Thanks for taking the time to share these insights, which are very meaningful to me at this time in my life.

cammyk said...

Harrison just had to write an essay for English on Faith. He chose to write about all of the distractions we have in life today and how they affect our faith.