“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Psalm 23, A Paraphrase

Do you remember your first Bible? I do... and actually I think I still have it... packed away in the attic. It had a picture of Jesus on the front... I think with a lamb... or was it a sheep? The other half of the Bible was a dark olive shade of green. It was "The Living Bible."

The Living Bible (TLB) was supposedly written for children. TLB is a paraphrase which is different than a translation. This paraphrase is basically taking other versions that have been translated into English and reworded to make it more "easily accessible to the masses." Unfortunately, either due to the author's intent or mistake, this version of the Bible is not considered accurate which is extremely important when choosing which version to study.

So, with that caveat... I find this paraphrase of Psalm 23 to be helpful in its simplicity.


Psalm 23 The Living Bible

Because the Lord is my Shepherd,
I have everything I need!


He lets me rest in the meadow grass and
leads me beside the quiet streams.


He restores my failing health.
He helps me do what honors him the most.


Even when walking through
the dark valley of death
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me,
guarding, guiding me all the way.


You provide delicious food for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You have welcomed me as your guest;
blessings overflow!


Your goodness and unfailing kindness
shall be with me all of my life,
and afterwards I will live with you
forever in your home.


1 comment:

BP said...

I like this line:
"He helps me do what honors him the most."