“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, October 6, 2008

Another Year, Another Marathon(s)

Yesterday, Anthony completed his 7th Marathon! Congratulations! He set a personal best time... and is looking forward to the New York City Marathon in November.

This is a re-touched re-post from last year, but it gives you a rather interesting idea of what a wife of a Marathon Enthusiast does during the marathon. I'm thinking about doing a post on how I train for the marathon... you'd be surprised at how much effort goes into it.

And yet... I still forgot where I parked the car!



Re-Post (re-touched) from October 13th, 2007

Confessions of a Marathon Enthusiast's Wife



Still Smiling after 26.2 Miles

Anthony completed his 5th marathon on Sunday, October 7th... well, if you add in the Ultra (50 Miler) from last year that would make 6!

So, what do I do on Marathon day?
  • Wake up around 5:30am
  • Drive to Marathon
  • Drop Anthony off close to start
  • Find place to park by myself in the darkness of the morning
  • Try to find Anthony amongst 5-6,000 participants
  • See Anthony start race and try to take photo
  • Try to find friend who is walking marathon
  • I don't find her AND I miss seeing Anthony at the 1.5 mile mark
  • Run to car to get to next meeting spot
  • Drive close to mile markers 7 and 11
  • Try to figure out where to park
  • Guesstimate when Anthony will cross mile 7 amongst sea of runners
  • See Anthony at mile 7
  • Kill time cheering for other runners
  • Guesstimate when Anthony will cross mile 11
  • See Anthony at mile 11
  • Run back to car
  • Can't find car
  • Ask around -- no one is from around here
  • Think... if I could only look at my map
  • Realize that the map is in car
  • Go into coffee shop to get help
  • Start to cry
  • Someone asks can he give me a lift to find my car? No, thanks...
  • Walk in another direction to find car
  • Find car... Thank you, God!
  • Keep crying as I'm driving to 20 Mile marker
  • Park
  • Pay attention to where I have parked this time
  • Arrive 20 Mile Marker
  • Fiddle with camera which persists flashing... frustrated!!! Trying to look like I haven't been crying...
  • Guesstimate when Anthony will cross mile 20
  • Meet up with Anthony at 20 mile
  • Give encouragement without revealing I've been crying
  • Back to car to head to finish line
  • Yeah! I found the car this time!
  • Try to find a place to park near finish line
  • Park
  • Pay attention to where I have parked
  • Run to finish line
  • Try to cross path of runners
  • Get in trouble with marathon volunteers, Yikes!
  • Make it to finish line
  • See Anthony cross finish line for first time ever at a marathon
  • Cross back over path of runners without being noticed by aforementioned marathon volunteers that yelled at me the last time
  • Hang around for about 30 minutes in waiting area by myself (and hundreds of other fans) not knowing when Anthony will get through finisher's area... waiting... waiting....
  • Pick up freebies (dish washing liquid?)
  • Munch on free sandwich wraps
  • Cell phone rings
  • Meet up with Anthony
  • Walk to car... slowly
  • Yeah! I found the car, again!
  • Drive home
  • Crash on couch
  • Drive to Red Robin to pick up a burger for marathon finisher
  • Park
  • Pay attention to where I have parked...
Well, there are no medals for a Marathon Enthusiast's Wife.
What would I do with a medal anyway?
Knit it a cozy?

Congratulations, honey!

7 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Sheri I know it wasn't funny at the time but it's funny to read about! I loved the story...and your husband is to be applauded for finishing. I can't even imagine doing that! blessings, marlene

elizabeth embracing life said...

This is so stinking funny. Really, knowing what you must go through, I bet sure makes the time fly. Me, I would have gone back to the car, to sleep for five minutes and would end up sleeping through the entire thing.

a portland granny said...

I loved that story! How wonderful to have a husband in such good shape! Don't worry about losing the car--its almost a daily occurrence for me!! (sort of--usually in a big parking lot)

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

You are such a great story teller!!! The car story is one I can relate to.. I am so absentminded these days :) about everything!
How wonderful that your hubby achieved his goal. I have always wanted to participate in a marthon or a walk*a*thon but have not..yet. This story is so inspiring!

boutcrazy said...

20 miles, I'm tried walking to the candy machine and it's just around the corner. I'm so proud of him and you for being able to keep up with him (if not your car).
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Congratulatons Anthony for the 26.2miles completed.
Congratulations Sheri for meeting all the meet up areas, even with not finding the car.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Thanks honey for your love & support.