“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fruit of the Spirit: "For You"

This week Beth Moore shared (in the Bible Study Living Beyond Yourself) how she has been amazed at how God granted her a ministry from her misery. When asked by women attending her seminars... why God allowed those things (abuse) to happen to her knowing that she was going to work for Him... she responds "For you."

This is a re post from July 20th, 2007.

Reflections from My Garden


Radiant Perfume, Grandiflora
Portland International Rose Test Garden

Last week I was in my garden trying to kill an ivy plant. The ivy (inherited from the previous owners) has decided to take over one of the mulch beds. I don't like the look of this particular ivy, and I especially do not like the way that its deep roots have begun to interfere with the growth of the plants that are in the same area.

While I was doing my maintenance of the ivy...pulling the leaves and roots...the Lord brought to mind my friend’s daughter. She has been battling with deep depression for many years and the Lord has laid on my heart to intercede in prayer for her.

As I began praying for her and still pulling the ivy, the Lord began to show me how the ivy and the depression were in a way somewhat similar. I can pull the ivy, but the roots are still there...deep. I can try to spray it with herbicide, but it just ends up being a short-term solution. But, I know the Lord can kill the ivy where I can't even see it. Deep down. The ivy that is overtaking my friend's daughter. She will still need to do her part of pulling the ivy...maintaining the garden. But there gets to a point that we can only do what we can do. It doesn't matter how the ivy got there...it's time to get rid of it. I just keep praying to the Lord. Do the thing, Lord. Just do the thing!

I shared this with my friend. She was deeply grateful and was able to share it with her daughter as an encouragement. My friend told me "I am amazed at what is happening. Revealing the deep roots just as you visioned. She is being honest and open about what is going on and seeking help."

As my friend and I were sharing this with other ladies at the Tuesday Bible Study/Prayer time, another dear friend reminded me of a conversation I had with her last year. I immediately remembered the conversation and looked it up in my journal on September 18th. She had told me that the Lord had given her a vision. She said that I was in a field of weeds. God was digging out the weeds. A big flower begins to grow. The past has been harmful and has robbed me. Now, God is removing these things and will make me effective in the lives of others and ministries as well. Weeds are of the past. Circumstances and experiences are painful. But, walk with God and He will remove them.

How cool is that! Thank you, Lord. For all the times You did the weeding. And for using my pain and Your healing to benefit others.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,
who comforts us in all our troubles,
so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort
we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NIV)

2 comments:

a portland granny said...

I can surely identify with you on the Ivy. I know all about ivy in the garden and in the soul! Its deceptive stuff!

gideonmommasita said...

Do you think that the fruit of the spirit...and our suffering and comforting others is for God's glory? When I hear Beth Moore say that she went through suffering for the people she would touch after... rubs me wrong. It's probably just semantics. I keep hearing good things about this study and your insights from it aree just as great.