“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, October 17, 2008

Fruit of the Spirit: It takes one to know one

The other day a Christian sister was telling me that there are so many hypocrites in "the church."

Today, as I was working on my Bible Study on patience, I was asked to review Romans 2:1-2

"... But if you think that leaves you on the high ground
where you can point your finger at others,
think again.
Every time you criticize someone,
you condemn yourself.
It takes one to know one.
Judgmental criticism of others
is a well-known way of escaping detection
in your own crimes and misdemeanors.
But God isn't so easily diverted.
He sees right through all such smoke screens
and holds you to what you've done." The Message


In the study, Beth Moore expresses the point, "We do many of the same things we condemn in others... We often sit on the judgment seat as if to determine and compare degrees of sin. Judgment bears hypocrisy."

And it made me think... Isn't it judgmental to call someone hypocritical? Shouldn't we be slow to judge those who are hypocritical? Because really, instead of judgment... wouldn't it be better to pray for them... to not be hypocritical?

And if we judge someone as hypocritical, and "judgment bears hypocrisy"... then are we hypocrites because we are being judgmental?

And what if those "many hypocrites in 'the church'" are actually hypocrites because they are judgemental?

And what can I say about myself? Yes, I did judge the sister who said "there are so many hypocrites in 'the church'"...

Father, please forgive me for judging those who judge those who judge others. It takes one to know one!

7 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

Great observation Sheri! blessings, marlene

Tammy said...

I have so been enjoying what you have been sharing of your study. It has made me think. Blessings my friend

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

This is something that I think of ALOT!!!! It really bugs me but then He knows what is in our hearts. Thanks for reminding me that it is not up to me to judge others Faith.
Have a Blessed Day!

boutcrazy said...

You always have such insight words. I'm afraid I've been a little judgemental lately against some extended family memebers. I need to turn those feelings over to God and make them prayers instead of judgements and make sure to remove the log in my eye.

Thank you for the offer of the John Waller CD, I would love it. I looked Friday, but couldn't find anything localy without ordering it. If you will email me, I will send you my address. And in return, if you send me your address, I'll send you a devotional by Beth Moore, "A Quick Word with Beth Moore" some Scriptures & Quotations form Believing God.

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri,
Insightful as always...thank you for sharing what you are thinking and learning.

~Jean

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I was just talking about this with my husband last night, especially as it pertains to leading Bible study and wanting others to share my same level of enthusiasm toward the study of God's Word. It's just not there some days, and I tend to find my whine accordingly.

And don't even get my started on politics. I must stay away from the entire thing, lest I assign judgment to EVERYONE involved.

God help me. I mean that!

peace~elaine

Christelle said...

this is so good Sheri! your post about hypcrites- i suppose we can all be one at times- something I am so not proud of!