“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fruit of the Spirit: A Vote for Peace


"Peace I leave with you,
my peace I give unto you:
not as the world giveth,
give I unto you.
Let not your heart be troubled,
neither let it be afraid."
John 14:27 KJV

I have not been peaceful lately. I have asked God to give me peace. But I have not felt it.

And that is the problem. Like love and joy, I have discovered that the peace God gives is NOT based on my feelings. It starts with a decision. A choice. A vote... if you will.

I am anxious about the Presidential election. The peace that I was asking the Lord to provide had to do with my current circumstances. I thought I wanted peace, but what I really wanted was for God to fix it so I wouldn't be stressed. I wanted Him to answer my prayer by making my circumstances turn out to my liking. Basically for me to get my way.

The type of peace that the Spirit bears within us does not depend on our circumstances. Beth Moore discussed in Living Beyond Yourself that peace comes with the authority not with the answer.

And this is where I am, making the willful decision to make God my authority. He is in control. He always has been. And if He is my ultimate authority... that means all other authority is under Him... and He has ultimate control.

So, perhaps... before you cast your vote for President... first, settle the question of authority.

"Don’t worry about anything; instead,
pray about everything.
Tell God what you need,
and thank him for all he has done.

Then you will experience God’s peace,
which exceeds anything we can understand.
His peace will guard your hearts and minds
as you live in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7 NLT

4 comments:

BP said...

His peace really "exceeds anything we can understand."

Why is it so hard not to worry about such things!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

When you have time, I hope you'll visit my latest post. It speaks directly to the electoral process and what it has stirred in me...

a whole lot of yuck!

Love your thoughts here, and you know how I feel about peace!

~elaine

boutcrazy said...

I'm with you on the way that I pray for peace is to have God work things out my way. Of course, when he does...it never works out like I expected. He knew best all along and I finally get to the point where I can say...okay...Your way.

boutcrazy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.