“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, October 3, 2008

Perfection


I was accused of being a perfectionist. I was shocked and aghast! I have never considered myself to be a "perfectionist"... why just look at how imperfect I am!

Look at how messy my car is! or how unorganized my spare room is! or how I leave dishes in the sink... and don't make my bed! How I normally just want to get the job done more than I want a well done job. I mean, really!

But the person who pointed it out... is very truthful... and she knows me... very well... and I have given her permission to call me on the carpet. So, I really had to consider it. She didn't say it flippantly or without thought. She saw it in me... and for my benefit... confronted me with it. In love. Having prayed over me.

I immediately thought about my blog... especially my Substandard post. All the unwritten words... or written and kept in draft because they just weren't good enough. Words that could have brought hope or healing... left unsaid... because I am afraid of what you might think.

I think of my friendships. How I want everyone to like me... and when there is someone who continues to reject me... how might I win them over?

I think of Christopher and how I want him to succeed in school. But deep down... not only succeed, but to be better than most.

I think of my health and how I want to not have to deal with the ups and downs of having Thyroid Cancer, and low calcium, and clinical depression.

I think of how I feel after leading my Bible Study table on Tuesdays... wondering if I made a difference or did I offend someone?

Hmmm...

And why did my friend see the need to talk to me about it? Because, she wants me to relax. She wants me to depend on God and not myself for the outcome. She wants me to be okay with the ordinary because sometimes that is what is called for... and she sees it in herself... and wants me to pray for her, too.

So, what about you? Is there an area of you life in which you are a perfectionist? Let me know... and we can pray about it together...

8 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

There's a difference between perfectionism and wanting to do God's will. I have trouble knowing where that line is. blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Sheri
We don't have to be a perfectionist, just enjoy life each day. Have a great weekend.
Love Ruth

a portland granny said...

Sherry, I understand what you are saying. I no longer lead at my Bible Study because I fretted so much about not doing it perfectly.

I thought of you yesterday as I was dashing into an appointment under my umbrella. I chuckled as the thought came to me, "I wonder how Sister Sherri is handling this horrid day?"

Kentucky Bound said...

OK. You really have to tell me where you have the web-cam hidden in my house. I've been on the "blogland" missing list for the past week or so because I couldn't think of a single happy, perky, humerous or beautiful thing to say. So, rather than let a single soul know that life here at the creek isn't always sunny and wonderful and that I have days when I'd rather hide under the covers than to face reality - days when my mind and my body just hurt too much to be able to function - I just hide. That way nobody has to know that my perfect little world isn't really so perfect after all.

So, once again dear Sister Sheri, you have hit the nail right on the head, you have kicked me in my proverbial behind . . . So, thank you friend for loving you enough to be honest with you because in doing so, she rang a few bells way out here in Kentucky too!

Blessings and hugs from the creek!
Liz

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

We are all perfect in God's eyes!! He takes us as we are ...... Thanks for being yOU!

Ms.Daisy said...

I realized that my posts don't have to be perfect - they are just a "diary" of how I'm feeling that particular day - if I want to look forward or back - and hoping that others will enjoy what I have to say or show!

~Jean

Christelle said...

awesome reminder ...
and Sheila who?

P.S. your blog ALWAYs blesses!

elizabeth embracing life said...

I think sometimes organization is mistaken for perfectionism. Or do teh two go hand in hand. I think it's that part of us that want to control, and thus we can't which creats a greater kind of anxiety. I remember a good friend pointing out to my perfectionistic qualities and like your first commenter said, I want to work towards the kind of perfection of Jesus, through his eyes of reality, not my own. I am a work in progress.