“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fruit of the Spirit: Self-Control

Therefore, prepare your minds for action;
be self-controlled;
set your hope fully on the grace to be given you
when Jesus Christ is revealed.
1 Peter 1:13 NIV


Depression is sneaky. It doesn't just show up one day unannounced with all of its garbage. It moves in one thought at a time. When you begin to realize that depression has brought its toothbrush over... you are beyond the point of denial of its existence.

Depression and self-control. What's the connection?

Today, as I was reading Day 4 of the book Conquering Depression, it suggested three things you should do immediately when depression comes knocking:
1. Make sure you are still reading your Bible and praying... (even though you don't feel like it.)
2. Thank God for loving you and bringing you THROUGH the depression... (even though you don't feel you'll survive it.)
3. Try to NOT make any major decisions. (Your feelings can cloud your common sense.)

Guess what? These actions take self-control. Having tasted the bitter-sweetness of depression, I know it takes self-control... and self-control takes submission. This time as I approach my unwelcome visitor -- I have decided ahead of time to trust God's Word as my authority... NOT my emotional outlook. I am submitting myself to God.

How we respond to depression makes ALL the difference. We can give in to it... or we can trust God to take care of us... to bring us through the bout safely... If we can do the hard thing... truly that believe God loves us... even when we don't feel loved... well, that is faith.

Now faith is
being sure of what we hope for and
certain of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1 NIV


And in this case, submission to this thought... this submission to God... gives life, sisters... and, trust me... life in abundance.

2 comments:

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

I reread Hebrews 11:1 about 6 times. How true! I need to stitch that on a sampler to remind myself.
Hope you get the pep back into your step soon.
Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving.
** I will be thinking of you.

Daughter of Zion said...

Good Post.
As a type A personality, outgoing and always seen as a confident person, very few people know that following me, is a murky grey cloud. Sometimes I can't see it, other times I can, and then when you least aware its above your head,pouring down rain.Gotcha!!

Thank you Lord that no matter what we go through or how we feel, you are ALWAYS with us.