“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, June 18, 2009

My 300th Post


Hear, O Israel:
The LORD our God, the LORD is one.

Love the LORD your God with all your heart
and with all your soul
and with all your strength.

These commandments that I give you today
are to be upon your hearts.

Impress them on your children.

Talk about them when you sit at home
and when you walk along the road,
when you lie down and when you get up.

Tie them as symbols on your hands
and bind them on your foreheads.

Write them on the doorframes
of your houses and on your gates.
Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NIV

It seems hard to believe that a year has passed since this picture was taken of me in Jerusalem. Time is inevitable, isn't it? I am standing at the gate to the Western Wall (Wailing Wall) by a Mezuzah.

A Mezuzah is a small case which hangs in a doorpost ("Write them on the doorframes...") and contains the verses from Deuteronomy 6:4-9, 11:13-21. As you pass through the doorway, you kiss your fingers and touch them to the Mezuzah as a sign of expressing your love and respect for God and His commandments.

My favorite purchase when we were touring the Sea of Galilee was a Mezuzah charm necklace that I am wearing in the photo. ("...to be upon your hearts.")

When Anthony returned to Israel last week, I asked him if he would purchase another Mezuzah for me. He found a beautifully ornate Mezuzah with amethyst inset. This one will hang in a doorframe... I'm still deciding in which one I will hang it.

In our Christian culture we often stay away from having icons in our homes. I suppose it comes from a time when people would worship the icon and not Who it represented. When using icons became more of a routine than out of reverence. And by removing icons that we would return to a more simpler faith... and only be dependent upon God and His Word.

But sometimes I wonder if it went too far. That perhaps a little routine might keep us more engaged. Perhaps a symbol that reminds us to keep God's commands... or to teach them to our children... just might not be a bad thing.

To celebrate my 300th post, I am giving away a Mezuzah charm (similar to my necklace in the photo) purchased in Jerusalem. Please leave a comment on this post and I will pick a name randomly on Saturday. (No purchase necessary!)

So if you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today—to love the LORD your God and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul-then I will send rain on your land in its season, both autumn and spring rains, so that you may gather in your grain, new wine and oil.

I will provide grass in the fields for your cattle, and you will eat and be satisfied. Be careful, or you will be enticed to turn away and worship other gods and bow down to them. Then the LORD's anger will burn against you, and he will shut the heavens so that it will not rain and the ground will yield no produce,and you will soon perish from the good land the LORD is giving you.

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the LORD swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.

Deuteronomy 11:13-21 NIV


10 comments:

Patti said...

Congrats on your 300th post!!! I am halfway there, literally! I just posted my 152nd post. :) Thank you for being a source of inspiration to me! I appreciate your insight and am looking forward to our Summer Bible Study!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I would so love to win this. I have a cross hanging on the wall to the left of my back door. It's wooden and on it is another cross made of nails. I agree with you about icons; I think we've gone too far. I have crosses and verses all over my house. I don't worship them but they remind me of who I do worship and constantly take my thoughts back to Him. I saw a stitched picture recently that I'm going to copy: Jesus Is In This House. Don't you just love that? blessings, marlene

Deborah said...

How cool that you got to go to Isreal...did I spell that right, I was having problems getting my "real" in the right order.

Congrats too on your 300th post. It's been so great to get to know you. I have a couple of stained glass crosses in my home and a cross stitched picture of the praying hands. I agree with Marlene, they are reminders of who I worship and visual signs when someone comes into my home.

Did I mention I love necklaces!!

Anonymous said...

Just seeing if i can win something....guess who... :)

Melissa said...

No time to comment, but lots to say. Remind me when I get back.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I have the words of Deuteronomy 6 typed out and on my back door. It so impressed me years ago when I memorized it.

I would adore a charm that contains these words. Add my name into the mix.

peace~elaine

elizabeth embracing life said...

I have had Duet. framed since the day I brought Elliot home from the hospital. For over 21 years it has been in plain view a reminder every day. I love having special things that bring warmth to my spirit in the little reminders of His faithfulness in my life, promoting conversations even better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheri,
I would love to be included in the drawing.
Congrats on the 300th post.
Cassie

Tammy said...

I am so with your thoughts in this post. Thanks for sharing and making me think. Congrats on your 300th post.

a portland granny said...

300 posts is pretty impressive--you are a committed blogger...and I am so glad that you decided take on this Leaking Window project those many months ago. What a blessing your posts have been to me! Hope you continue with your heart's thoughts for a long time.

For the first time in my life, I have a cross on my wall in the family room. Someone sent it to me so I put it on the wall....and I have enjoyed it. I see it daily, and strangely, it reminds me of Whose I am. I thought I would feel "funny" about it, but I like it!