“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Depression

She caught up to me today.
I was in the bread aisle.
She asked if we could visit for a while.
I didn't pay attention at first.

She said she hadn't seen me lately.
She just wanted to catch up.
She noticed I had been a little tired lately.
A little weary.
I told her not to bother me.

She persisted.
She would take care of it.
Just a little visit.
Just a little visit.
See, it would be okay.

And I was lulled.
Yes, she was right.
Just a little visit.
A little despondency.
I mean... what would it hurt?

And then I recognized her.
Yes, I had seen her before.
I knew her well.

And there she was.
Revealed for who she really is.
Depression.

And I ran... as fast as I could.
Knowing that I didn't want to see her.
I wanted nothing to do with her.

Knowing that she'll come back, again.
But knowing that each time she does.
I'll run. Quicker. Harder. Faster.

Right into my Father's arms.
Safe into my Father's arms.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So are you doing OK?

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

Yay for you, I know she is a persistent booger!!!

a portland granny said...

Sherry, I am so sorry you are plagued from time to time with depression. "She" and I are old friends, also, not by choice, but always just around the corner. Twently years ago, I was in such a deep depression, I thought I would never find myself again. I hear you very clearly when you speak of your experiences with it. Unless one has experienced depressions, they really don't understand. My precious Mom used to tell me to "go shopping"!

I'm glad you find help in praying--during my darkest hours I couldn't even pray...or wouldn't--I'm not sure which.

Trust the rest of your week will be rich and full of the Lord;s presence. Take care, my dear.

Rhonda Azari said...

Sherry! I am praying that not only do you run, but that you continue to jump into God arms when 'she' tries to get you again - you are a great sister to me!! and so many others - we love you ;)

elizabeth embracing life said...

Run and hold fast and tight. The allow those God prompts to surround and encourage you. Blessings Sister S

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri, Great poem...It evokes feelings in others which shows your creative talent. Keep writing - I know it helps you and others who read it are helped also.


~Jean

Daughter of Zion said...

did you right this poem yourself. It really blew me away as it was as if I was looking in a mirror. thank you for your honesty. It has allowed me to be open on my blog now.

bp said...

Thanks for sharing, Sheri. Thank you God for holding us.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Beautifully real and poignant and frightfully honest. Frightful, because, anytime we reveal our heart, we leave ourselves as vulnerable (especially when revealing it to blogland!). Satan is never more quick to jump on our words than when we divulge the truth; that being said, truth is where the answer lies. Bringing our "junk" out into the light is the quickest way to diffuse the mystery of what's ailing us.

Thank you for trusting us with the story. You did the right thing. You recognized and you ran. That, my friend, is noteworthy. That, is courage. That, is one huge step in the very right direction.

You are well loved and prayed for this night. May the rest of a Sabbath day be your portion.

peace~elaine