“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Transparency

You are the light of the world.
A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
Neither do people light a lamp
and put it under a bowl.
Instead they put it on its stand,
and it gives light
to everyone in the house.

Matthew 5:14-15 NIV

Some people call me transparent. They find my transparency to be refreshing... inspiring... motivating.

While others would rather that I were a little more translucent or opaque. It would be a little more comfortable for them.

Transparent
  • allowing light to pass through so that objects behind can be distinctly seen
  • easy to perceive or detect
  • having thoughts, feelings, or motives that are easily seen
  • open to public scrutiny
Translucent
  • allowing light, but not detailed images, to pass through;
  • semitransparent
Opaque
  • not able to be seen through; not transparent
  • hard or impossible to understand

With transparency comes potential for rejection. Because nothing is hidden. Yet, if we are transparent, perhaps others will truly see what is "inside the package"... and be drawn to what they find there.

I try not to be only transparent in my faith in God,
but also
when I am doubtful...
when I am depressed...
when I am confused...
when I feel rejected...

So, here I am... warts and all.
Sharing the constancy I have found in the Lord.
His persistent love.
Available to all.

Here's another way to put it:
You're here to be light...
God is not a secret to be kept.
We're going public with this...

If I make you light-bearers,
you don't think I'm going to
hide you under a bucket, do you?

I'm putting you on a light stand.
Now that I've put you there on a hilltop,
on a light stand—shine!
Keep open house;
be generous with your lives.

By opening up to others,
you'll prompt people to open up with God,
this generous Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:14-16 The Message

7 comments:

Alena said...

Wow, this is excellent! :)

Grace said...

Opening up ~ a constant struggle...thanks for beautiful words to ponder today friend.

Daughter of Zion said...

Have you read any of Joyce Huggert? She talks about the dark night of the soul, but in a spiritual sense

I will be blogging on that topic soon as that is where I am at spiritually.

bp said...

I love things written about this passage since it is my special verse. Thanks for sharing. Such a wonderful goal to reach towards.

elizabeth embracing life said...

Thanks for refreshing my soul with your insights and thoughts.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

How I pray that with everyday, some of Christ shines through in me. As of late...a difficult find I fear. Stress has taken its toll, and unfortunately, the ones I love the most are the ones that feel the effects of my stress. Working on it. Just keeping it "transparent" with you!

peace~elaine

Rhonda Azari said...

It's always a challenge to be transparent! Something that I have to daily choose. I am so glad for your posts!!