“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Enticed to Bloom Early

"Mush"

It's too early, I thought. These bulbs should not be pushing their way up yet. It's only January and there will be another frost. I wanted to tell them... "Not yet, dear friend." But the warmth enticed them. They were past the point of no return... and they are mush now. Their beauty will not be enjoyed this year.

Some things you just don't need to know yet, I thought. Christopher asked why we hadn't told him about R and X rated movies. He said he felt silly having to ask his friends what they were because some of the other boys were talking about them. I told him that one day he would need to know about these types of movies, but for now, we didn't want him to have to be burdened with the knowledge that there are types of entertainment that would go beyond what we would ever need to see or experience... and some... at any age. But, now, he knows they exist... and I cannot take that knowledge away from him.

"You don't need to know everything about this yet," God said. But I persisted..."Just tell me how this situation will turn out. I want to know. Please!" But He says that it is for my benefit to not divulge all the information too soon... because I just might not be able to handle it or I might try to force the outcome. He gently says, "Trust me, Sheri... there are things you just don't need to know yet... It's too early."

And so, I choose to stick myself back into the warm soil... and not be enticed to rush too quickly... to force myself into a bloom... when all along God knows, another frost is coming.

6 comments:

elizabeth embracing life said...

Pondering this blog today.

bp said...

Not knowing how things will turn out is so hard for me sometimes. It's better to wait on His timing but it's hard.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I, too, have pushed for his thoughts on my many matters! I've found that my premature wanting stems from doubt.

Doubt that he really has a plan and that it's going to be a good one!

Slow growth, my friend. But good. Very good.

peace~elaine

Deborah said...

How many times do I rush God, demand to know...to see what lies ahead...you are so right...it's best we don't know everything, we might just stick our heads in the sand or never get out bed.

Awesome post. I left a little something for you at my blog tonight.

Ms.Daisy said...

Sheri - What a good post...it gave me goosebumps!



~Jean

Daughter of Zion said...

What a good blog. I really enjoyed reading it.