“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Eyeballs and all.


As directed by the ER physician's assistant (see post), we made a follow-up visit to Christopher's pediatrician here in Oregon. The pediatrician assured us that the antibiotics would completely ward off the potential for Lyme Disease. Nothing at all to worry about... Really? What a relief...

But then... he snickered. He said he felt the whole thing was being a little blown out of proportion. Perhaps superfluous. Extreme. Huh? The potential for Lyme Disease? Really? I know ticks aren't as prevalent around here... but their bite is to be given proper respect.

And then this momma bear thought to herself... Trust me, when it comes to my baby bear... NOTHING is superfluous. We needed to get that whole tick out. Eyeballs and all. And we were not taking any chances... or just assuming that it will all take care of itself. We are being diligent. Complete. Leaving no chance for infection.

And it all made me think about my Heavenly Father... who sometimes requires me to do the extreme. For my own good. And there are people around me... who snicker. Who think they know better or are smarter. And they say that I don't have to be so diligent... or I can let some things go lax... or a little won't hurt anything...

But sometimes our Heavenly Father says... cut it off or pluck it out... not because He is keeping me from having what some may consider fun, but He is keeping me from what may ultimately hurt me. Separation from Him.

So, as I start this New Year, I'm asking... Do you see any ticks, Lord? Are there any little things that are sucking the life out of me? or infecting me? Things that need to be completely removed? Pluck it off me, Lord! Eyeballs and all!


If your hand causes you to sin,
cut it off
.
It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

And if your foot causes you to sin,
cut it off
.
It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.

And if your eye causes you to sin,
pluck it out.
It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell...
Mark 9:43-47 NIV

11 comments:

Tammy said...

I am glad Christopher will be fine. Great post to get me thinking about my own heart. Thank you. As for books, I got several on Jane Austen and the Knitting Club. I tell you Barnes and Noble and I are like two peas in a pod.

have a blessed day my friend

bp said...

Whoa, that is such a great post. It really makes me think girl.

Have a good week.

Tanner Family Blog said...

I'm glad the whole tick thing is being resolved. I think we have to be strong advocates for our kids!
Can you believe it's back to school!

Rhonda Azari said...

I am so glad that Christopher is going to be alright! You go mommabear! I am so with you on that ;)

gideonmommasita said...

Amen, With so many great encouraging words I feel at a loss to add anything else.
love the verse you are memorizing!

Daughter of Zion said...

What a good start and attitude to the New Year.
I am glad your son is fine. I am not sure what Lyme disease is...must google it. We get tick bite fever here is SA and its can make you very sick indeed!

boutcrazy said...

What a great post! This should be all of our prayers...to have God remove every part of sin that is buried in our lives. It may hurt during the removal, but we will be healed!

elizabeth embracing life said...

Never can you be to careful when it comes to our baby bears. Pressing out all the bad stuff to avoid greater disasters. Great post.

a portland granny said...

Glad that the news from your doctor was positive, albeit, he shouldn't have laughed at you! Hope all is well with Christopher.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Please tell me the dr. took your seriously and got it out! I've been praying for Christopher's full recovery. And when it comes to the well-being of our children, a mother's instinct usually proves right.

If you can't find a dr. to take your seriously out west, head to my neck of the woods. We take our ticks very seriously.

peace~elaine

Kentucky Bound said...

Speaking from experience, the secret is to "drug the bug" with a drop or two of alchohol which causes the little bugger to begin backing out on his own, then his eyes, ears, and other body parts can be pulled out attached to the rest of him.

I'm sorry y'all had to go through that after all of the heartache you went through to get to Maryland to begiin with! This will definitely be a Christmas to remember for all of us.

Love, hugs and blessings from the creek!

Liz