“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Heart is in Ethiopia

Today, Anthony leaves Addis Ababa and heads to Asosa. He arrived in Ethiopia yesterday for a missions trip with 6 other men from our church including our lead pastor.

As I asked him what it was like to take a 4-mile run at 7,700 feet in Africa... what was the countryside like? He brushed off my question and went into his feelings about the poverty, persecution, and imminent death all around him. How unbelievably humbling the visit has been. How we may think we know poverty... but we truly have no concept at all.

He had been asked to be prepared to give a sermon at a church on Sunday. But he tells me that... words from his mouth mean nothing. What would he have to say to these people? "Inadequacy is one thing, but this is... well, I got nothing. The words alone must come from God because I cannot relate. It is mind boggling."

And then he answers my question about the countryside... He says everything else is just stuff. Inconsequential. All he can think of is the wrestling within himself. Wondering who he is... why he would be there...

And so, the change has begun. Anthony will be different when he returns. He will have memories and experiences that he will be unable to describe because mere mortal words will fail him. I will only taste these memories and experiences through the change that has taken place in him.

And so I pray, "Dear Lord, please.... guard my HEART... in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

And the peace of God,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds
in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7 NIV

9 comments:

Daughter of Zion said...

Wow, God is certainly working in his life.
PS.Thank you for your post last week.

a portland granny said...

What a life changing experience for Anthony. I understand your prayer that God would guard your heart....

May you be blessed as you keep the home fires burning.

Would you send me an email with the schedule of the 31, when, where, etc. I think it would be splendid if we could work something out!!

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...

I too am without words. What a wonderful mission and an example of God working through us to help, teach and learn.
I will keep him((and you)) in my prayers and will look forward to hearing more about his journey.

VINTAGE GIRL AT HEART said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bp said...

It sounds like an amazing life changing trip. I pray for his safety and that God uses him to reach the people there.

Rhonda Azari said...

Sheri! I am praying for continued guarding of you Heart!!! And for God to speak through him, what an awesome experience for him Praying for you and Christopher also.... hugs to you my sister!! :D

Tanner Family Blog said...

What an amazing trip he will have - and yes, very life changing!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My husband and son went to Bolivia last summer; I felt a bit like an outsider to the event, knowing that when they returned, I would only be able to taste in part what they had swallowed.

My son will return there this summer.

Mission's trip always change the heart involved. I pray your husband's heart will know the sacred shaping of a Father's love during this time and that you can find a Father's peace for allowing him the journey.

I'll be praying for him today as he prepares to bring his message.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

Want to hear something funny?? That is what I spoke to the Missionary consultants about on Thursday....Guard your Hearts!